1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Military Chevys (again) Motor ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IHcubman, Jul 21, 2003.

1. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Guys, I'm still leaning towards the military truck idea (M1008 5/4 ton truck). My next question has to do with the motors. They come with 6.2 diesel engines; does anyone have any comments/experience on/with them? I know the trucks are geared really low and I imagine the diesel engine is really what I could use for the farm, but I've always had gas motors in my trucks so I am concerned. Input please?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

the 6.2 is really a gas converted engine and was really not that great.Does not have that much power we had one in one of our old trucks and had nothing but problems.The 5/4ton truck itself is a nice truck.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 6.2 was not a converted gasser.It was designed by GM and Detroit diesel from the ground up.

It's not a bad motor,just low on power and doesn't quite have the longetivity that diesels are known for.They were cheap and easy to maintain,and stuff like injectors and pumps are too pricey either.

The lower gearing does help the power,but kills fuel economy,and top speed.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Wyldman is correct the 6.2 was a low cost original diesel. It really is a pretty good motor for light to moderate work and had good power for a small truck. The motor can't compete with a cummins or even a powerstroke though. For farm use I do not think that it would really do you wrong. Fair amount of low power and no real need for great mileage or high speed.

5. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I knew that there was a GM gas to diesel conversion (5.71 Olds?) that was a flop but I wasn't sure about the 6.2. When I did a search on it, I found a ton of hits where guys were swapping them into their Toyota Land Cruisers...?

I did talk to some of the local police who have one of these 5/4 ton military Chevys in their stable and their comment was that the truck "isn't quick, but it'll go anywhere and pull anything..."

Quick isn't really an issue; most of the time I'll be driving it locally or back and forth to work which is a 20 mile drive on back roads besides, the mileage can't be worse that my '87 Chevy with the 350 in it!

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

They usually get pretty good mileage.Advance the timing to 10 degrees BTDC,and mileage will come up quite a bit.Nice bottom end increase too.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Sorry I must of had some bad info on the 6.2 I always thought it was.So with that question what one of gm's engines was converted from the gas block??

8. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

The 5/4-ton Chevys come w/ 4:56 gears w/ a Posi-type rear end std., manual-locking front hubs & some dual rear wheel models had a Posi-type front axle also. Mileage is usually around 13mpg. (without the tweeking suggested by "wyldman") & a top speed of about 55-65mph depending on how tight you want to wind the motor.

Good luck, :)

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

6.2 is a decent engine. Expect not a lot of power,but good economy.Parts are readily available.

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The 6.5 Diesel was a converted gas motor that GM put out after 6.2. Slow motor and not real good parts but always started in my dads dump. Its all a matter of money and usage.
    Eric

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 6.5 is not a converted gasser.The 5.7 liter was,it was used fron the late 70's until 1984.it was an olds 350 with a beefed block/crank.They had a lot of problems ,heads/crank/block.My Dad bought one new in 80,in out Caprice the #3 main bearing cap came down after the threads in the block split,immediately snapping the crank in 2 pieces.The 6.5 is a purpose built diesel,its a cheap ,light duty,low power one,but its a diesel from day one.

12. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i was in service and the trucks are usually beat on they dont change oil the normal way they send samples for testing to decide if it needs to be changed they dont change every 3000 miles makesure you look at it real good