1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Military 6 X 6

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J & B Lawncare, Sep 24, 2005.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Have anyone ever used a Military 6 X 6 (2.5 or 5) for snow plowing? I can buy them from a dealer close by starting at $5,000. Would be a lot or street truck. Anyone have any idea if the military style tire would be good for plowing. I was thinking that if you, like myself did not need a large dump truck, this would be ideal. Placing a big salt spreader in the back should be OK. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks

2. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Military

Sorry I can get them for $7,000. Chevy P/u $6,900. Blazer's $5,500 all military.

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There is a tire specifically designed for snow for that size rim. They also have a conversion kit to make the dual wheels single wheels, which helps in the snow. The downside is that these tires are very expensive. Not everyone carries them.

The bigger challenge with some of these trucks is the noise. Plan for exhaust and muffler work or plan on being deaf.

That said, they will go through anything, but can be cumbersome to drive, and the visibilty isn't great.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Might be kinna cool to use one.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Never used one for plowing, but drove convoys every day using a 5 ton (M54A2) first for six months, then a 2 1/2 ton (M52A2) for the last six months. My opinion - "give me 40 acres and I can turn this rig around".

PBeering is right about the noise - the 5 tons have a supercharger. Ours were known as the "Whistlers". You could hear them coming a half mile away.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

We use Oshkoshes with 18 foot daniels wing plows on the from. ?You cant stop them. At the end of the puch pick the plow up and go, never had a problem, never changed the tiresall three are straight piped cat 3406 engines they rumble but not too bad....

7. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i think that would be awesome to use for plowing they have so much power. go for it. :waving:

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Spent 9 1/2 years working on them weekends in the National Guard. They are simple, but getting parts might be a problem if you ever needed parts. They are extremely noisy. Even with earplugs or ear muffs, you can not hear yourself think. Only major drawback for plowing would be NO POWER STEERING!

Most of the deuce and a halfs we worked on had a White diesel. You may be able to pickup the manuals online to work on them. I would think given the abuse I have seen them take they would hold up well. Keep the fluids topped off, and it would probably last forever.

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Hit The Auctions yourslef.

Do yourself a favor,Sign up and buy direct if you want a 2.5 or 5 ton.They typically sell in the northeast Auctions for $2500-$5000 in good complete condition.That being said they are Loud and COLD.Make sure you find one with an Artic Kit or get an artic kit.A Hard Top is also a necessity.The newer or converted trucks are running Cummins 250hp and parts shouldn't be an issue.
    Military tires SUCK in the snow.They are non directional and just slide, for that matter they suck in the rain also.I ran them for half a season before replacing,and with 14x24 24ply rubber on my Oshkosh believe me I tried to not have to replace them($900 bucks a tire)...
    I've heard of guys cutting cross section groves in the military tread and I guess that helps a bit.If you are on site chaining them up maybe an option.If they have them in your tire size the NATO tread looks like it would work well.I've seen some of the trucks come threw with those on it.
    That being said these trucks will pull a house down, so there isnt much if they are setup properly that could stop them.

10. Oshkosh

Another option would be something like this

Hello,Another option would be something like this Oshkosh,diesel,under 30,000 orig miles.Rh wing,setup for a P/A ,also a nice clean 6Yard spreader Just out of service this season for $5,000-Nobody has to ask if an Oshkosh can push snow....
    Something to consider.

1Model P222-71 Oshkosh with 4 way hydraulics1.jpg

11. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Heres a link to a great site that I think will help you answer all your questions.http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index

12. Oshkosh

Follow this site...to educate yourself.

Hi,Follow this link,you'll learn all you ever wanted to know about the Military auctions and what things really sell for.
    I've been buying using and reselling for years now.
    http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005