1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Miles of Gravel roads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by michande, Feb 10, 2011.

1. michande

michande Junior Member

I wouldn't consider myself a plow business. I live in the country and plow alot of miles of gravel drives. The problem I run into is that the ground freezes then thaws. We do not get consistant cold. Many times after a snow my plow shoes will trench into the gravel/mud pretty deep. I don't want to plow down to bare dirt but also do not want to leave 3" of snow pack because it turns to slush, then freezes. I have read on this site about welding a 2" pipe on a cutting edge. Is that an alternative that would work best in my situation? I have no need to remove it because all I do is drives and pasture entrance so farmers can get to their cattle.
    Any suggestion are appreciated.
    Mike

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

That should work well. If you never need to remove you can tack it in several spots, and it will hold up nicely. You can even go to a 3 or 4 inch pipe if you want. Just remember to take your shoes off after installing the pipe, so they don't dig in. You will leave anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch on the gravel after you plow.

3. michande

michande Junior Member

cutting the pipe

I figure I can use a plasma cutter. How wide of a cut should be made?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Make it as wide as your cutting edge it thick. That way you put it on, and it will take less tacks to hold it in place. If you make it to wide, then the pipe is going to want to flex, and that will end up tearing out your tack welds.

5. michande

michande Junior Member

thanks a ton. I am going to put that on this morning. I am kind of excited to see how it works. My mind kept wondering back to it while I was trying to sleep last night. Anyway thanks for your help.
    Mike

6. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I've built a couple but I wouldn't weld it to the cutting edge, the heat will weaken the cutting edge. Attach it at both sides of the plow, easy on/off with 2 bolts. Here's a link to the last one I did. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103504

7. michande

michande Junior Member

Too late. I only put about 4 stitch welds. So only about 8 inches of welds accross 8 feet. But I am pretty stinkin excited to tell everyone that it work fabulous. Thanks to everyone for their help. I went out to test it today because it was about 40 degrees and the ground was soft. Didn't trench, only moved a very small amount of gravel. Fantastic.
    Two questions. Is there anything different with this setup that I should watch for? And I said different so don't everyone tell me trees, ditches, boulders ect. And about how long is the lifespan of the pipe. 2 inch pipe, 1/8 in thickness.
    Once again thanks. I just can't express that enough.
    Mike

8. send me an email and I will send a picture of the best yard-guard pipe
    now with hard weld on the bottom (lasts over 200 long-driveways)
    I plow with a yard guard all season (over 10 feet so far this year)

comfort@torchlake.com
    tc