1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mileage question for Super Duty 5.4 owners!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Focker, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Focker

Focker Member

Just wondering what kind of mileage the rest of you are getting? I bought an 06 250 with the 5.4 and the mileage sucks!! No matter how I drive, fast or slow, I average just over 11mpg, I am not very happy!!! My 96 250 with the primative 351 and 4.10's got over 12!!! Let me know what you think!
  2. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I have a 03 F250 it is an auto, 4:10 rear and 305/70/16" tires. I maintain 10mpg on average. I pull a landscaper trailer, or some kind of trailer most of the time. Highway driving unloaded I was able to get 14. It is a work truck, and used moslty to haul.
  3. clipper

clipper Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 03 250 with a 5.4 and 3.73 gears. I get 10-11 mpg in the winter, 11-14 mpg in the summer. And 6.5 mpg when plowing!!
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Gas mileage was never a thought to me it's used for work.
  5. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

my 93 f250 with with 4.10's gets 11 on a good day. I'd be estatic with 14!
  6. Focker

Focker Member

Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting great mileage with this truck but I was expecting it to be a little better than what it is!!
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Guys....

Thanks guys, I'll cross Ford Gas trucks off my list.
    You would think Detroit would have figured out how to get better gas mileage out of a 3/4 ton in twenty years time...
    It is not just Ford my neighbors Dodge 2wd quad cab with a magnum is getting like 8mpg around town..Don't know about Gm's gas mileage but I don't hear anyone bragging.....
  8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'm in the low teens with the 3:73 gearing. Also, I don't really care what my mileage is, I bought it for work. However, I do try to keep it around 60 as much as possible. This helps a good deal with the gas.

BTW, ALL the 3/4 gassers are getting about the same mileage, so make doesn't matter. As for the diesel vs. gas debate: say what you will, but diesel is at $2.60 / gallon and unleaded is at $1.90 and FALLING here. So, I'll take the cost of gas over the extra mileage.
  9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I conserve when I can...

Well I try and do my part to conserve fuel as I can.If that means paying more for diesel than I will.Up to 50% more per miles per gallon!!!
    I think the boys and girls over in Iraq would agree...After all it is a business write off as so many have said....
    Sorry to get off topic.....
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 06 has 4:10 posi with 17" wheels and I bet we're getting low teens, VERY LOW,lol. This gets better fuel mileage than our 94 F150 with a 302. You know your in trouble when they dont have to post fuel mileage on this msrp sticker. I was plowing this past Friday and put 60+ miles on and I was down to just over half a tank. But on the high way.... forget it! you could watch the fuel gauge go down. Look into a Super Chip of some type and a cold air induction system, combined they would probably get you another 4-5mpg.
  11. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I have a 2003 F250 5.4, I don't measure by the MPG, I go by the FPG ( Feet Per Gallon). Much higher number, makes you feel better.
  12. Focker

Focker Member

:D LOL, I like that idea!
  13. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Just got rid of my 03 f-350 w/ 5.4 and a 3:73. I usually would get about 11mpg in the summer. The best ever was going up noth behind a class A motor home 15mpg(thats driving about three feet off of the bumper) I am always towing something mowers, skid dumper. If I was working it hard it obviously was way worse. I put a 4" lift and 33" tires on it and didn't hurt a thing. My new truck is an 07 f-350 with the three valve v 10 and a 4:10 gear. I figured that the mpg's couldn't get any worse!!! I am getting about 10.5 right now ,not bad for this time of year. The best thing is that I have more power than I know what to do with! The new v 10 makes almost as much power as my 02 cummins did, but gas is alot cheaper. My diesel only got around 14 or 15 and cost alot up front. The v 10 is only a $600 option, alot of power for the money. If any one with the 5.4 is looking at new trucks, the 6.8 is worth looking at!!!
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Magnatrac, you need to get about 150 hours on your new truck engine before the computer will let it run the way it is supposed to. The factory has it set to perform lower during the break-in period. Your mileage and power will increase dramatically after 150 hours.
  15. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

hydro 37,
    Wow that is great news I was already very impressed with the performance of the truck. I actually just broke 100hrs and around 3,000 miles the other day. I was figuring that 10.5mpg was decent for the size motor and power. But now I will look forward to putting some miles on it! Like i said earlier I had a v 8 before, and the thing about the v 10 is that the peak torque is around the 3,000 rpm range. The 3 valve v8 made more power than mine but it was up in the 4,000's. When my SD got up around there I thought something was going to come through the hood!!!! hydro 37 thanks again for the info!!!!
  16. Jto89

Jto89 Member

Mine is a 1999 f250 with just over 90,000 miles and im getting 14 mpg easy with it. A full tank will last me just about a week and a half.
  17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well I'm getting 11-12 mpg with my 99 f250 5.4 .But come on guys you didn't buy your trucks for gas mileage now did you. So go out and buy a rice burner if you want gas mileage. Just my 2 cents. Steve :)
  18. Turkey

Turkey Member

133,000 on the truck now and I'm usually in the 13-14 range with 4.10's. Plowing, I'm in the 2-2.5 gallons per hour range.
  19. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Keep in mind, gas milage drops considerably in winter with the winter blend fuels.
  20. Focker

Focker Member

That is some good information!!..I am just about there on my hours so we shall see!..Thanks