1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mikes Crew Hauler

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DieselSlug, Nov 10, 2015.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Hello all,

Figured i would start a build thread on my new truck.

Since my small biz plowing days I've finally graduated (for the last time) and now am an estimator/project coordinator at a demolition company. I have to travel often to view possible new opportunities as well as some time on site of current jobs we hold. After the 6.5L i picked up a 2011 F150 FX4. It was a good truck, except for when it had to go in the shop (Bills were 1K plus) for heated seat failures, EPAS steering clunks and Defroster malfunctions. The extended cab was just too small to haul around Adults comfortably.

Just last week i traded it in on a 2009 F250 Lariat Crew Cab with the 5.4L Triton. The truck is very clean and originally from WV. It has some type of lift kit (~4'') and 37'' Geolander A/T's that are shot! The previous owner had some interesting taste with ricer type brake/accelerator pedals, K&N CAI Intake, decals stating "size matters" (Tore those off just after i pulled into the driveway), steering wheel cover that wore the leather off and not afraid to put a couple holes in the dash for his goodies.

Near future plans are to fix the little things that bother me and install a new set of tires. The 37's fit without rubbing, but they suck a lot of power from the already lacking 5.4L Triton. I'm afraid going down to 33's will make the truck look like a roller skate, so I'm thinking we are going to put 35's on it.

Its not going to win any races for sure, but hopefully i can turn it into a nice cruiser. The pictures don't do it any justice showing just how massive this thing is. I was looking for more of a stock rig, but this thing is form WV and darn clean. So, of course being here in NYS i couldnt help myself as trucks like this aren't easy to find everyday.

Current plans don't include a plow, mainly because my driveway is only about 3 car spaces big. Our next house may be a different story.

[​IMG]

Welp, it was fun while it lasted.

Last night i had to go on a 30 minute trip north of the City to pick up a a part for the Wrangler. About half way there i noticed a burning brake smell. Thought it was the jalopy in-front of me, but it was hanging with me even as that car went in a different direction. Stopped picked up the part and noticed the wheel was warm and smelled. Made it about 5 miles towards home and it got progressively worse to the point where the rotor was smoking.

Pulled over and called AAA. Looks like I'm putting new front calipers on this weekend. Luckily they are only $76 each plus $45 core.

[​IMG]

Got the front calipers swapped out Saturday morning in about 2 hours. No big issues. Truck stops good now with no hanging or binding.

Stopped at my local Delta Sonic (Gas Station/Car Wash) this AM as i have a 15 cents off per gallon card, so i normally pay $1.96/gallon for gasoline. I stopped 1 day last week and the pump repeatedly clicked off no matter how slow i pumped. Went to a different pump this week and did the same thing, but even worse. I've filled it up 2 times before last and don't remember it being such an issue. Stopped short of 3/4 tank after 10 minutes, going to try another station later today.

Seems to me like the overflow is plugged, not letting air out so the fuel backs up the fill tube? The fill tube to me seems so skrawny at maybe 1'' in diameter. Is that how the tank "breathes" when your filling it?

Tried a new gas station and it wasn't as bad as previous, but still obviously an issue. Trying to see if i can get this covered locally, as the dealer is over 2 hours away.

A few more pictures....

[​IMG]

IMG]http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz221/DieselSlug/2009%20F250%20Lariat/31_zpshempkl1i.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Nice looking truck.

in regards to the gas filling issue with the pump turning off, I had a 2006 Silverado 1500 that did the same thing, but only at some gas stations. It was weird and I never figured it out, just ended up not going to the gas stations it didnt work at.

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

congrats, very clean truck consider goodyear duratracs when looking at tires
    I also have the problem with my filler on my 2005 however i have a 2013 bed on it, sometimes i have to pull the nozzle out halfway and fill it slowly while angling the nozzle up once i get some in it it fills normally with the nozzle all the way in

4. DieselSlug

Thanks!

Yes, i do like the Goodyear Duratrac tires and am going to get a set for the Wrangler. However the truck will see mostly highway driving, so i want to get a tire that will last a little longer on pavement. Thinking Cooper AT3, Toyo Open Country, Kuhmo and Nitto.

I've tried it all, so frustrating. Plus being a dinky tank (used to the 36 gallon in the F150) i stop 2 times a week now.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This happens on my ford f350 all the time. I cleaned the vents same thing. It's frustrating is hell. Had mechanic check the neck no issues. Some stations it fills good others it don't.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I figured it had to do with the gas pump and not the vehicle finally. The pumps it didnt work at I could tell right away before I even started pumping just by looking at the nozzle and recognizing it as one that didnt seem to like the truck.

7. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

Our 79 Chevy suffers from this, very slow to fill. One thing I was able to do was to slightly adjust the filler neck up in the gas door. Even a half inch improved the flow a noticeable amount. Some may not have any adjustability but if you are not afraid to tinker with it....

8. BDTRUX

BDTRUX Member

Diesel slug - try having your mechanic do an evap smoke test, your fuel problem sound like it could either be a purge or vent solenoid

9. DavCut

DavCut Member

Fueling issues

The 250 I had at work had the same issue. I think the mechanics ended up changing the charcoal filter. Made all the difference in the world.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good info. I'm going to suggest that to my mechanic, He thinks theirs nothing wrong with it and it is what it is. It's annoying and time consuming and a legitimate gripe.

11. DieselSlug

Thanks guys,

The Mopar warranty wont cover this. Trying to get more out of the Dealer i purchased it from. May have to suck it up and drive the 2.5 hrs to them.

12. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Do a quick google search for (slow fill) on your truck. There were a couple of TSB's issued for this issue. Usually caused from being operated in dusty conditions and the charcoal canister plugs. Ford has issued a revised canister and venting kit to correct it.
    My 07 V10 had the same issue. Best method I found was turning nozzle nearly upside down to pump.

13. DieselSlug

Took the truck back down to the Dealer, about 2.5 hour drive getting there at 8:10AM. We left the truck and walked about a half mile down the road to grab breakfast. It was done about 9:30, the Dealer Blew shop air through the vent line and vapor solenoid in the canister. He said it took air, they stopped at the pump and said it fueled up fine. I told them my concerns with it happening again and me having to drive all the way down there. They seemed that they solved the issue with the "clogged vent".

So before i left the small town of Towanda, PA i stopped at the local Sheetz and attempted to fill. Bam, problem still there. I made it up to $9.00 and the pump clicked off about 10 times. Piled back in and headed back to the dealer. The Dealer know thinks that it its something within the vapor canister that has failed/restricted. They didn't have the canister there, so for a temporary fix he was going to pull the vent line to the canister to get me by. On the Super Dutys the vapor canister is located above the spare tire. So the Dealer proceeded to lower, but Ford has a "key" to lower the spare tire that was not included with my truck, or misplaced by a previous owner!

Now I'm confused here..... So the Dealer removed the vapor line and blew shop air through it? So that would entail taking the line off the vapor canister. But now, since the Dealer cant remove the spare tire the line cant be removed? So how did the tech remove the line in the first place to blow shop air through it if he couldn't remove the tire? I never really got a straight answer to this....

By this time I'm frustrated and began taking it out on the sales lady. The dealer is contacting their Ford service representative to see if the part can be replaced up here near my home. It took me over 15 minutes to fill the truck Sunday night.

Waiting to see what today brings....

14. DieselSlug

Thanks.

I did do a lot of surfing and did see TSB's, however they were only linked to the OBS Super Duty's, and nothing for the 08-up trucks.

I also tried turning the nozzle in all directions, when i would turn it more than 180 degrees (closer to upside down) it would spew gas out the overflow before it kicked off, so i said enough of that.

Best way to fill is literally by pennies, and that's still tough.

15. DieselSlug

Hunting pic this weekend of the struggle to make it into the woods. Still waiting on my check form the dealer to purchase some new tires.

[​IMG]

16. DieselSlug

Quoted from the Dealer.....

"Here is the verdict. We can fix the truck in Elmira at our Ford store. It is going to cost us a total of 980.00, there is nothing as far as profit in this deal, BUT, we will eat 480.00 of it, leaving you 500.00. We have to pay our share internally, so I do need you to get it to them.
    This is truly the best that I can do. With it being not a powertrain issue that would be covered under warranty, I am not responsible for any of this on a used vehicle, but am trying to help you out the best I possibly can.

Let me know what you want to do. If you are going to go Elmira Ford I will have Doug set it up for the day and time that you can get there."

So apparently, its only law in NYS that a Dealer must include a 30 day warranty with vehicles they sell not labelled "as-is". SO it seems as if my new truck that i have sunk over 1K into already now needs another possible 1K in parts/labor.

Honestly, the law is the law. So i'm screwed here, however i'm more concerned with the principle of this ordeal as i was told a sales agent from their office drove the truck for a week before me and it drove beautifully. But i had to have the shot tires re-balanced as it vibrated at 40-75. And now i cant get the thing to take more than 10 cents at a time at the pump. You would think with a 26 gallon tank and getting 11 mpg they would have had to fill the truck (i do almost 2x per week). I honestly think there were issues hidden, and I'm calling the Dealer out on it.

Also wondering just how much profit a dealer makes off a used vehicle? According to this (if i took the deal to fix the canister) that would have been 1K off the total price, leaving no profit for them?! They cant be making only 1K profit, whats the point of selling this rig then?

My plan now is I'm going to fix it myself, the TSB parts are approximately $200 bucks, so $300 for my labor to install is worth it to me.
    I am going to go after the dealer to get my $130 diagnosis fee i had to pay Lincoln for. I feel "cheated" out of this money for sure.

What do you guys think? Minus the fact i shoulda' bought a GM haha.

17. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

What do you guys think? Minus the fact i shoulda' bought a GM haha.[/QUOTE]

Call and schedule an appointment with the GM of the dealership. In a reasonable voice, lay out all your concerns and issues with him/her. Explain what you have found and spent so far and ask about the statement where they said the staff had been driving it with no issues. Politely suggest you feel like someone either oversold you or you were misled as no one who drove it would not have noticed these issues. Ask them what they can to beyond and above the sale to resolve these issues. Don't curse threaten or yell. That comes later. As a shop owner we have gone the extra mile for the reasonable person many times over but the guy who comes unglued ends up with a lot less in the end. Attitude is everything. Remember your salesman works on commission and the more they put into the truck the less he gets paid typically. Did you sign an As-Is? That limits your options to what the minimum required under the law is.

18. DieselSlug

I don't see anything stating "as-is' on the documents i signed.

It did come with an additional MOPAR 3 month 3K mile powertrain warranty.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Was this truck purchased at a franchise dealer or a used car dealership. The truck has a 4 to 6k mark up from the dealer. Not only the salesman is on commission but the service writers and service manager and sometime the mechanic. And usually they traded your truck for a profit to.

Any repair agreed to be fixed. this cost will come out of the service manager etc commission. Whoever NYS inspected that truck could be responsible for the caliper this is a inspection item and left you in a dangerous situation.

As far as the fuel issue I would call ford not the dealer. The 3 month 3k miles is required by NYS law not cause the dealership wanted to be gracious. Ford is aware of this problem on these trucks including mine. The truck should never been sold that way as I'm sure you would not have purchased it.

Call ford the factory and explain your situation. If they agree that the truck should not have been sold in that condition they will have to fix it if ford tells them to. They can pull there franchise for bull like that. Forget Elmira ford they are blowing smoke. Speak to ford in a reasonable manner if you can get no help contact NYS and then give ford the riot act.

This behavior is unacceptable. These issues should of been fixed before the car made the sales line at the dealership. Good Luck.

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Rockauto.com has a new purge canister for $60.00, drop the spare and replace it yourself. I wouldn't bother with the dealer any further, it's not worth the wasted time, gas, or effort in my opinion.