1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Might have an Issue.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hiniker08, Dec 29, 2015.

1. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

Hello all, I am new to this sight. I have a question for you all and you may or may not have an answer for me. I have a Hiniker Straight Blade on my truck. My dad bought it brand new in 1999 I would say and have had no problems with the plow ever. Not one part has been replaced. Anyways we had a storm warning start here and I put the plow on yesterday. All the functions work fine, but I do notice that the plow does not raise as high as it used to. The bottom of the blade used to be around 10 in or so off the ground when raised and now it is maybe 4 in off the ground. This makes it very difficult to drive down the road for fear of catching a man hole cover or something. Is there any adjustments on these plows? Could it be a Selonoid that needs to be cleaned? I have worked on Boss, Western and Meyer plows and know them real well but like I said not one part on this hiniker has ever gone bad. Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

I would check fluid level first. If it hasnt been changed since new you r very lucky two make it that long. Fluid should be changed every year

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Is the resivor full?

Are the springs tired?
    Counterweight?

4. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

The fluid is full, the fluid was changed last year and has not been replaced this year. Snow Farmer, what springs are you talking about? And the Truck is used as the counter weight, am I wrong? The truck that it is on is a 1996 Ram 2500 Cummins.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The front springs can settle over time.

Counterweight is placed behind the rear axel, right by the talgate.
    Depending on the plow start/ use around.
    #400-#500lb. A Hiniker isn't a heavy plow compared to some others
    I'm surprised it sages that much.

Did you mess with the lift linkage?

Double check the resivor.
    Just tossing this out there, tires full of air?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  6. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

I will check that out SnoFarmer. I have never had to use any counter weight in the truck before, but that is not saying that I don't need it now. Are you talking about the front springs on the truck or the plow? I have never messed with the lift linkage and quite honestly don't know where that is on the plow. The pump is all electronic. And yes the tires are full of air. I will double check the resivoir in the day light today as I did that last night in the dark.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sno is talking truck springs.

8. Philbilly2

I think you got um all there!

Sno, where is Pat to ask about the specific gravity in the region of testing :laughing:

9. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

I will also try to take a picture with the plow raised on it sometime and upload it on here. There is a considerable distance between the stop plates next to the raising ram when the plow is raised. 3 in almost.

10. Philbilly2

Not a Hiniker guy, just a farm kid, but looking at a picture of one, is there any chance that cylinder can get air in it? Do they any form of self bleeding?

At what point in the cylinder travel are you checking the level at? Fully contracted or fully extended?

11. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

The springs on the truck might be tired. I know for a fact that those springs are the original springs. But it just doesn't make sense to me that the plow was off the ground fine 2 months ago and now all of a sudden it is a lot lower than it was.

12. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

The cylinders I do know self bleed. The ram might be getting air in to it all though that would be a sign of leakage and there is no sign of any leaks when parked. I am also checking the fluid when the plow is fully raised and it looks like there is hardly any fluid used out of the resivoir. I know the fluid is a hair ( maybe an 1/8th of an in) under the line when the plow is down but I also looked at the fluid when the plow is up and the fluid drops maybe another 1/8th of an inch. Not a huge difference. You would think that there would be more fluid used than that. I know my old boss V plow and my old Meyers used more fluid than that when raised.

13. hiniker08

hiniker08 Junior Member

The model number on the plow is a 2801-S also If that helps anybody out.

14. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Take a picture of the truck and plow from the side. I would guess that the forks have pitched down because of hitting something in the off season. Your stop plates should come together and touch too. There still may be a problem there too.