1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Might get into the Business, Need some advice though!

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by Duncan IN, May 9, 2009.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

I recently recieved the local Walmart supercenter contract for mowing, snow and sweeping services. I had a hard time finding a contractor to clear the parking lot for me he ended up being an hour away. Got me thinking about getting into the sweeping business. I am paying him 1500 a month to clean the parking lot. Is it hard to land contracts for sweeping? I am not a lowballer I have seen enough of that in Lawncare. i like to get my work through landing the mowing, snow, fert, ect... Any advice for a guy looking to get into it? Equipment, Startup costs, Employee $$ an hour ect...?
    any info would be helpful!!!
    Thanks
    Levi Duncan
    Lone Tree Lawn Care

2. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

Not to many people deal in this area?!

3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Small Profit Margin...

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

It's not worth getting into for one lot, to be honest.

5. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

I am not going to get into it for just one lot, I am going to check into other 3 other local walmarts and plus some other chain stores. I know the work is out there its just landing deals without lowballing.

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

generally, the lowest guy gets the lots in the sweeping business. its nothing like snowplowing where you can sell the customer on the servicing, etc.

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Well said Redman, I have witnessed litter sweepers selling low as $30.00 a sweep! Ahh...no thanks.
    I will not extend a 60k machine JMO,

8. BC Plower

BC Plower Junior Member

Just a thought, depending on what you have for equipment...bobcat,front end loader... there are a number of options from an angled brush to mini sweeper with dumpbox. etc...
    you can get attachments to fit these. Then just figure out what you need for a profit margin.

9. BC Plower

BC Plower Junior Member

Questions
    1: How often do you have to sweep / clean the lot??
    2: Can it be incorporated into the same time frame as the mowing??
    3: Whereabouts are you...makes a difference in estimating wages??

Personally if you had the other 3 lots as well at the rate you paid ( $1500 per month ) x4 = $6000.00 per month.....somebody could make decent money....jmho

10. BC Plower

BC Plower Junior Member

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

If your going to chase more accounts, your goingto need a medium sized air machine; the unit in previous post would be a back up. We have turned the typical skid user into a customer. We cover more ground in less time than an attachment. better to put your feet up and enjoy the profits from someones elses hardwork.