1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Might get another truck and then have twins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itsgottobegreen, Nov 20, 2005.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well I was bored tonight so I went for a drive to look at used trucks. (guy I sub for wants another truck) Wanted to see if I could find a cheap gas truck to plow during the winter with then sell for another diesel.

Well what did I find. The exact truck I want to get in the spring. I wanted a twin of my dump truck, except just a pickup. Since its kinda of hard to pick up chicks in a dump truck. :rolleyes: I figured I would just find a F-350 xlt ex-cab dually. I didn't expect to find an exact match to the dump truck.

1999 F-350 dually 49,000 miles, 7.3 Diesel, 4x4, auto $23,999 (an no you can't buy it since I got it on hold.)
    Never had a plow, I doubt it ever seen snow since the frame is rust free. And just like my dump truck it was barely driven. That still only has 13,500 miles on it.

CAN YOU SAY BLIZZARD 8611 erie special and an alumium easy dumper. :drinkup:

So what do you think. Would a set of twins look cool. And do you think its a good deal. Still have to haggle on the price.

pickup1.jpg

dumptruck1.jpg

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That bad boy is going to be SLICK with that Blizzard hangin' off the front! Gotta see pics of that!

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

its gonna be awsome with the erie special 8611 i just bought one home last night for my f550:yow!:

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Just make sure to check the oil pans on both. My '01 550 rusted through and is now at the stealer getting a new pan. No not under the diesel warranty. Truck only has 35k miles on it. Big bucks for a new oil pan, and potentially new exhaust manifolds if they can't pull the existing ones, since they need to pull the motor to install the new oil pan.

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

funny you should say that... one of our 01 f450s just went in for a rusted through oil pan. but they warrantied mine just had to pay $100 deductible..

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep

My dump's oil pan is rusted pretty badly.

As much as I want this truck. I don't think I will get it.

The guy I was going to sub for told me one price, and now is offering another. Was $110 now $70 for a 8611LP. Sorry no thanks. Maybe $70 with the wings pulled in.

Won't be able to afford it after fuel, insurance and driver for that price.

Oh well. Maybe I will get lucky and have someone else quickly offer me work for it at $110 an hour.

7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Did you have any trouble with the dealer? I spoke with 3 here and none of them said Ford would cover it under warranty! Only if the pan was cracked...I had a hole in the side of the pan where the oil was pouring out.

8. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Ford has a kit out now for the rusting oil pans. You have to grind the paint and rust off of the pan and then spray on either a new paint or something like it to keep the rust off the pan in the future. I am going to check on it tomorrow at the dealership and see how much the kit is. I will do it to my pan before it gets to leaking.

9. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I was using the por-15 system. The hole opened up, unbenkownst to me, while I was prepping the metal. I put on 3 coats of the por, let it sit for a couple of days, filled with oil and it was pissing out. Stripped it back down, drained the pan, again, and applied JB Weld. It leaked around the JB Weld seam. The whole thing was a nightmare. I worked on it and tried everything, gas tank epoxy, etc. for almost two weeks and it still dripped. I can't believe Ford doesn't prep the pans any better, especially since this is not a new problem. The pan is sitting in an oil bath! How can it rust through?!!!:realmad: Now it's costing thousands to replace it.

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Doesn't say much for Ford Owner loyalty. My accountant has noticed that Fords, in general, cost more for maintenance and repairs than GMC Chevy. This seems like another example. It doesn't make much sense to sell you a deisel truck that will go 300k miles plus with a oil pan that costs thousands to replace when it rusts out prematurely. That negates all the economy that a deisel is known for given their longevity.

11. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

no they didn't gave me any problems at all. my pan wasn't cracked it was rusted through to the point where u can stick your finger through the bottome of the pan if u put a little effort into it. they also put all new oil and tranny lines as well. it was leaking pretty bad a few quarts a day. i do know it was a major job to replace, for some reason they had to tank the engine out... i'd make a stink over it cuz they warrantied mine, good luck...

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice..:nod:

13. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Thanks, I will. Yes, another design genious idea, you need to pull the motor to replace the oil pan. Why not make or even offer as an option an aluminum or ss pan? The oil pan itself is only $100, while the labor is what costs so much.

14. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i'd call someone at ford if they don't warranty it. I would only say because the dealer i bring all my diesels too that pretty much all they do is trucks. so im assuming they would know best.. i didn't know it was such a major job. i picked up the truck and the service report was like 6 pages long. I was like what the hell did you guys do, they were oh take the engine out.. gotta love ford..

15. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Timely thread

I was looking at an 01 F450 over the weekend. Glad I saw this thread. I wondered why the oil pan looked like it had been welded - now I know.

Thanks guys.