1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Might buy this

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by LUCKY 7, Mar 8, 2011.

1. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Hello everyone, a fellow contractor near me is looking to sell a tractor backhoe. It is a 1992 Deere 410D- extendahoe, 4x4, EROPS w/ heat, 10000 hrs. Runs great, doesn't use oil, some play in hoe but not real bad. Needs work on the transfer case- about $1000. I would like to hear some opinions on what you all think this machine should be worth. He has given me a price but I'm just curious- thought it would be fun to hear what you think. In my opinion the price he gave me is insanely cheap- probably should be there handing him money instead of looking at the computer! :dizzy: Thanks in advance.

2. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Depending on hours I would ball park that machine between 10 - 15 thousand

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Spot on. This is what I had in mind. I guess the only thing I can suggest is have a qualified heavy equipment mechanic check it out. Proclaimed "Only $1000 to fix it" from the seller might be $1k in parts and then labor, but then when they tear into it they find xyz. . . I guess basically the old adage of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind in a deal like you are talking about.

4. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

Here are a list of JD 410D units to compare with...;)

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=DEERE&Mdltxt=410D&mdlx=exact

5. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I should have made it more clear. I priced out the parts myself from DEERE. I added labor to the cost of the parts to come up with the $1K- that number is from me. I had help coming up with that because the mechanic that took it apart does all my work so he told me exactly what it needed. It looks like I can get this machine for $4K. I think it's an incredible deal but if anyone disagrees I'm willing to listen why. If I do get it- won't be fun loading it without the transfer case in it- no hydraulics, no brakes, no running. I'll figure something out I guess. Thanks again.

6. Gibsonk

Gibsonk Junior Member

Well for that money let me know if your not buying it and I will

7. bigcatpip

bigcatpip Junior Member

I have been heavy equipment operator for over 10 yrs , been running track-hoe and track type tractors any machine that get over 8,000 to 10,000 is time for a total rebuild , we put close to 2,500 hr a yr on a machine,

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

10K hours is looking for trouble IMHO. T case could very well just be the start. We have a 310 Deere thats a yard machine, its a late 80s model, and she's BEAT, at 8K hours. Does the job day in and day out(when its warm), but all the pins are sloppy, trans doesn't move at all when cold. and leaks from just about every piston seal.

9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Did you say 10,000 hours? If that is the hours than I would think about it real hard. That many hours on a backhoe is a lot.
    A wheel loader not so bad but backhoes get beat up pretty good. The price sounds good until you start to replace components that can cost $10,000 or more. It is a gamble.

Depends on who took care of the maintenance.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011