1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Might be last year plowing residential for me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Dec 3, 2009.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

This year due to our mild November/December my customers are very slow to confirm or pay. I've spent lots of money getting my vehicle ready and wanted to buy a new plow and did not because of lack of NEW customer response. I know the economy is poor and lots of guys are either like me raising their prices (because of last years Winter) or if they are new coming way too low. I've come to the conclusion that I would rather work longer and harder hours Spring/Summer/Fall than deal with 4 month of not being able to go on a vacation and waking my wife up every time I need to go out and plow (she gets up even though I tell her not to). I really enjoy my job and working the months that I'm outside except winter, I used to love winter and now I loath it and wish it would end...I need to find something else to do in winter for an income, any suggestions would be great.

The one main thing that I find is that the amount of fuel/wear and tear on the vehicle doing residential is really not making me $ to be worth all the stress.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we have toyed with the idea of getting rid of residential, but in the end those seasonal contract are too nice to have, have you considered a incentive to sign earlly, or a penalty for sigining late? the other thing you might consider is subbing out the service, i have a lawn company that subs out to us every year, he is happy because he doesn't have the staff to do it during the winter, and i get extra work, also he worries about collecting, but pays me whenever i ask for a check (which is really nice), i wouldn't get rid of my snow customers, they are a part of the buisness, but you could hire someone and buy a cheaper truck, and have them go out for those snow days, and find something else to do with your time too. that way if something does happen, you can help out, but you don't have to be the guy doing it.

3. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

I'm seeing the same thing as well. I'm going to take a framing course, as well as
    work with my girlfriends uncle who reno's basements. He's cool with me being a no show when its snowing. I figure I'll still play the lawn game,
    but make the transition into the basement framing. The scary thing for me is...
    Come february when its time for me to get the other half of payments from my resi's.
    With this mild weather, it might be a chase.

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I should look into something like that...I can't paint and we have enough of those in my area. I'm actually relaxed just thinking about actually working harder next year so I don't have to deal with next winter. Everyone has to pay in full for snow plowing or checks are Jan 1st...at the lastest.

5. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you are having a hard time collecting money try telling the customer that they have to pay up front for the entire season or you could take a few post-dated cheques. This the way I do and have never had a customer put a stop payment on one of their post-dated cheques. I have tried working at other jobs while doing snow, it was too much of a pain for me.

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

there was a thread earllier asking what people do/if they have another career on the side, check it out, lots of ideas

7. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I hope there is a drinking beer and playing PS3 job because I could get into that :)