1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

might be buying a dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Dec 2, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

heres the truck i had my eyes on for a couple weeks, guy still has it. when i called the first thing i asked about was rust. said everything was solid and not a starting spot on anything. its got 130k doesnt bother me but have to see how it runs. what are some things to watch out for other that injectors wet intercooler lines and oil in the exhaust are some things break lines and breaks. what are some other things in this year dodge i should look out for?

http://route31hotrods.com/302.html

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

check the front end out they wear fast, these trucks go through ball joints, and trac bars almost every couple years if you are plowing with them.

thats a nice truck sounds like a fair price for such a clean truck with a plow. i typically dont like to buy trucks that have plows on them as i assume they were abused, but this one looks to be maintained.

3. the new boss 92

when i talked to the sales man on the phone from what i was told its a 1 owner truck and they have the window sticker to, they also have the plow install recepts and it was added just over 2 years ago to plow the guys driveway.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Those guys always seem to have some interesting trucks and some gems inbetween. I'd take it for a lengthy test drive w/ and w/o the plow and to a mechanic but for the price it isnt too bad and looks clean. My old dodge needed a complete rebuild after 70k and it had never plowed. Food for thought. Your left calf is gonna be huge after winter lol.

5. the new boss 92

yea that was the plan crusie it around for half hour or so with out the plow, with the weight of the plow it can cover up a bad front end with the weight on it streching everything. my dads a certified diesiel tech and he is also a co signer so he will deff be there to look. considering i have done body for i know were these dodges rust at so not an issure. also with the truck being black i can really tear it apart dents scratches rust previous body work and areas that have been worked. so im feeling pretty good about it just gotta see what it really is.i already plow with a stick and the clutch in my truck is brand new and 10lbs heavier the oem so that one cant be to bad!

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

btw that place is like 15 min from me too, drive by there on the way to the local plow dealer all the time.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

lift pumps like to go bad. if you have a way to check fuel pressure do it. makes sure its not a 53 block. like said above the front end may need some parts. otherwise pretty tough truck.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There great trucks and that is one of the best engine's ever built (as you know). I'd knock them down $2000 or at least $1500 and take it. Looks to be real clean and you won't really have to worry about the tranny problems of that year.

As for the front end- any plow truck will go through parts so its not a huge concern IMO. Plus there is plenty of MUCH stronger aftermarket parts that will be a one and done deal (replace once and never again). I'd buy that truck in a heartbeat.

9. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Buy it before Saturday's snow or they will want top dollar for it. I have plowed with Dodge trucks and they are a good truck. All have their flaws so whatever. This year I will be using a 2011 F-350. I hope it plows at least 1/2 as good as the Dodge did. I still have a 1996 with a 8.5' Western and it plows like you cannot stop it.
    I agree on the front end parts and plowing with a stick takes a little getting use to but I actually liked it better than auto. Just my $.02.
    Good luck.

10. the new boss 92

as i said in a pm i kow a plow rig will need front end work, im machanicaly inclined so thats not an issue. after market parts are my friend in the diesiel would and have reserched alot on them. i was thinking about trying to trade my truck in and get them to about 9500 outdoor after i pick the truck apart with a fine tooth comb!
    i love that body style dodge although im not a dodge fan but a huge cummins fan. i currently plow with a stick and i love it used auto once and found myself in park a few times!!!!! the thing that concerns me the most is i just fixed everything on my truck and got it the way i want it. that dodge is going to need rims and tires in my book and im going to put an exhaust on it because someone already played with it the salesman told me. so were going to see what happens saturday if the snows not to bad and i can get out there cause the dealer is about 45minuets from me!

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah thats not a bad deal really, are you including your plow on trade? I wouldn't personally. If you do then I'd get them down to your truck/plow and like $8000 for the Dodge.

I wouldn't worry about it lasting, a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck will hold up much better to plowing than a half ton. I know they can handle it (my previous truck was a Dakota with a Fisher 7 1/2' plow) but I'm amazed at how much different my current truck handles the plow/weight of ballast & Spreader compared to the dakota which I thought handled it fine and with ease.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

BINGO!

Bring with a friend and a fule pressure gauge. There's a test port on the side of the fuel filter assembly on the side of the block. Hook the gauge up and "bump" the ignition. (enought to engage the starter but nor turn it over and start it). It should kick the lift pump on. Lift pump running engine off, it should produce 12-15lbs of pressure for 25 seconds.

If it doesn't the pump is toast.

Now with the engine running at idle, the pressure should read no lower than 10psi if it does, tell the guy you want $3k off. The lift pump is toasted and has ruined/is ruining the injection pump (at best you could find a remanufactured one for $1500 and you'll need a new lift pump, get a FASS95/95 ($600) at minimum). The job will take you about a day to do if you're compitent under the hood.

Otherwise, great truck, it's a late gen 5.9ISB, a 53 block shouldn't be an issure in an 01'.
    First thing you need to add to the truck though is a fuel pressure gauge so you can monitor your lift pump.

13. the new boss 92

if i had to trade my truck in with the blade i would want no less than 4. te only thing i would take is the tool box for the new truck cause i just bought that and has my life in it lol. i have driven a 1 ton plowing and i didnt want to get back in my truck. im thinking my truck as down payment and them knocking 2500-3000 off cause it looks like its going to need tires and prolly breaks and who know about the clutch and whateverelse i find on the truck. with the storm coming im going to wait another week im thinking and if the still hav it i going to go wheel and deal!

14. the new boss 92

thanks for the information, im going to try my hardest o get out there this weekend and see what up, but with the storm coming i dont think i will have time so i might have to wait another week.

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Too late, I just bought it. I'm flying out tomorrow to drive it home. Thanks for the lead!!!!

j/k ::drinkup:

16. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman Junior Member
    from S/E MI

I own a 2001 with the cummins. I bought it new and have 160,000 miles now. I drove it to alaska in 2006 and with a little maintenance I would do it again.

On the 2001 you can cycle the key on and off 3 times. On off on off on. Leave the key in the on position and watch the odometer. It will show you any codes that may be present. Google the code and you can find the issue the code reports. This has saved me a few times. While searching for codes wait till the odometer reads done twice. one set of pcm and one set of ecm..

For rust get down and pull the little rubber flap up along the bottom of the doors and look at the seam between door skin and the door body. They rust badly there as well as cab corners and body mounts under the truck.

Dodges answer to the failing lift pump is to put the pump in the tank with the pick up tube. This has been done to my truck and I have had good luck with it so far. As my understanding, Electric pumps work better when they push fuel than when they suck fuel. So moving the pump intank helps cool it, no vibration from the motor and it is pushing the fuel..... problem solved????????? maybe...lol

The vp44 or injection pump is mounted up front on the engine and is blasted with heat. It is cooled by recycled fuel from the fuel tank. if you run your fuel down to empty durring the hot summer days you MAY be shortening the life of the electronics on the I/P. Also hot shutdowns and the under hood heat temp rise of the truck just shut down MAY also be part of the problem. Taken with a grain of salt. lol

Deisel truck resource is a great website. everything about dodge trucks is on that site.

Genos dot com is a great site to buy filters and some dodge parts. Quick shipping. good prices on filter kits.

The best place to get engine parts is from a cummins/bridgeway dealer. Better prices and people who understand cummins deisel.

Get them down a couple of grand you may get a great truck. I love mine. Best of luck to ya!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  17. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The error code Outdoorsman is talking about is P0238. That's a code for I/P timing failure.

18. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman Junior Member
    from S/E MI

19. the new boss 92

i have done a real quick break down in my head so far with out seeing the truck in person. i figure im going to get around 4g's for mine down. im going to find a bunch of things wrong with the truck so were going to get around 2500 off the asking price and be looking to finance about 7500-8000. truck will be paid off after winter and we start making it look awsome. rims and tires, nice ss 4inch exhaust a programer of some sort... im not going to tr and get myself excited over something that i dont have yet so if all works out i will be buying it in a week and you will see tons of pictures of it.

20. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i wouldent get your hopes up about them dropping the price $2500 lol its prolly not going to happin. even if you do find things wrong with it they know a sucker is born every second and will give their asking price.