1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midwest Walmarts going to a national plow company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Feb 11, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I just got done talking to another plow company that does work about an hour away from us. They do a Walmart and I was asking him alot of questions about Walmart. Last year there was one built about 20min from us and I really want to get it. The place they do has a zero tolerance and they place by me seems like they have a good 1-2" and the ground all of the time. It looks very poor and sand all over the place, but this company has all of the big box stores and factory's around, so they must do something right. The last time I went there with my wife I had a very hard time even pushing the cart, someone that is weak I know couldn't do it. Anyway I was asking them how I would go about getting some info about the Walmart by me and he said "dont get to excited, I heard there going to a national plow company next year and this company will have everyone". Has anyone else heard about this?
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Where in MN?? We are not going to go out and steal t work but I see the same around here in the western burbs.
  3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Must be a chinese national company. After all isn't that the way wal mart likes it. I don't know how a national co. would work, but it is probably so they only deal with one co. It will end up third and fourth party by the time the work gets done. It will probably take a year to get paid:dizzy:

4. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

We live by Austin ( S.E. Minn)
  5. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Maybe what he meant by a national plow company would be someone like Lipinski. I just cant believe how this Walmart could have that much snow on it, I mean its like that all of the time.
  6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Haven't heard that not suprising. Could also be the guy is lying to you so you don't bid against him.
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a name of a national plowing company. I would think it would cost Walmart in the long run.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Or they could be referring to a area management company--Dentco, US Maintenance, SMG, I'm sure there are others.
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I doubt it, one of the things Walmart tried to do is keep cost down by dealing local. Well that is with the exception of cheap Chiniese things.
  10. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I sure hope they keep everything local, so us smaller guys can at least make a living. I would hate to see subs plowing for $35 an hour.
  11. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

The local Wal-Mart here uses a local guy that has 2 trucks, a Bobcat, and a Tractor with a blade & no cab. This store is usually the worst looking shop in town & they have had to be bailed out a few times during a big storm. I drive around after an event & look at other lots & man the Wal-Mart always is slick or has 2" of slush. A buddy of mine did the old Wal-Mart & they were at least 8 months past due on paying so I haven't even approached them about the contract.
  12. Dub's Shrubs

Dub's Shrubs Junior Member

All I have to say is just because a company has all the big stuff in an area doesn't mean they are good. We just had a nw guy in my area that went and cut everyones balls off to get the bids. He got one from me all i did was sand the parking lot I charged $35 and he told the owner he could do it for 10 bucks I wouldn't getout of bed for that if you know what I mean
  13. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Im not sure Id want to work for Walmart. From what ive heard, they dont pay smaller companies without a fight and when they do they wont pay the full amount. Worst part about a company that big is even if a small company takes them to court they can easily keep your case tied up in court until you run out of money.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Our Wal-Mart around here is like that too. They salt it during the storm, and then basically wait until it's done snowing to plow it.
  15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You should see how bad Quincy walmart is alot of times. I know they almost lost the contract this year becuase they showed up to late and lost the parking lot. They had snow everywhere and wasnt passable with out 4wd. It was only a 6 inch storm too. Problem with Walmarts and other Super Market places is that they are open during the storms. And with all these cars with 4wd/AWD a 6 inch snow fall will olny stop old people from going out. Everyone else hits the roads like its no big deal. So if you are not on top of your lot from the start it can become very messy very fast. i use to plow that Walmart and it was non stop Hatiens and Chinese coming in during Blizards. we would have over a foot on ground and store would close early. They would get out of car with there 6 kids. And start heading in. Only to be completely suprised that the store closed when the state had gone in to State of emergency for snow storm. So they all pack into the Family truckster and head out.