1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midwest salt Crisis

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know were I can get salt under $150.00 per ton :confused: I stock about 6 events out, but with suppliers running low (or out) I will be out in three events. With this winter, thats about 4 days :p As ridicules as it sound I think I am going to start spreading 50/50 salt/sand. I have never spread sand, and most people around here never have, but Its not looking like I have alot of options.
  2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Morton just shut us off here in Green Bay. We had 750 ton contracted and we used 550. I guess our contract is useless. If anyone knows of salt anywhere in bulk please let us know.
  3. Eric, we need to try what IDOT has been doing down here for the past week, we need to get sand and coat it cal or mag. This salt is killing us, i only salted one place so far. Took out the v box and put the snowex back on, i can still get bagged salt but it does get old. Time for us to set up that spray rig.
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

How can they stop selling when you have a contract?
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    No salt here in lower Michigan either. I have been on the phone all day trying to buy some. Looks like bags are the only thing you can buy. I am going to salt only handicap and sidewalks. How can we run out of salt.:realmad:

Regards Mike
  6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i pretty much run all sand(traction sand) that the state uses here that work great. but i also treat it salt brine when it is going to be cold for a couple days. Usually the sand will melt with no problem.
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

When you sign your "contract" for salt it is basically an estimate on what the company will have available to you. The government has an actual contract that supercedes our private ones. When they prioritize their needs over ours, guess what? We are out of luck. Buy bagged and take it in the shorts.
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Sorry to hear that guys. That has to suck going to bagged salt. I wish we had enough events this year to worry about running out of salt.

I do have some good news though....
    I just got another load delivered today for $55 a ton. :D
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's the way ours is too. A little hint for you guys, send some food gift certificates at christmas or at the beginning of the year and when they get you some hard to get loads, send them some more gift certificates. In the office the order takers can usually find a load if they like you but if your a late payer and an as@$#%$, you'll be the first one to be cut off. JMO
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

there is salt out there guys you just have to go a little farther to get it.I just got back from utica indiana with my three trucks. 15 hours driving, $77 in permits per truck, $47 a ton for salt, 280 gallions of fuel but we got 50 tons of salt this trip and are going back monday.Every truck there was going back to the chicago metro area.