1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midwest pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FLC2000, Nov 4, 2011.

1. FLC2000

FLC2000 Junior Member

Ive been in business for 11 years cutting grass and doing landscaping and this year Im jumping into snow. Ill be doing all my houses and a couple commercials that they own. Probably about 50 or so properties. The commercial ones are fairly small. Ive been helping out the guy I used to work for since I went into business so I know the in's out and out's of plows and how to do it. I wont be doing any sanding or salting. Just straight plowing and putting down ice melt on the walks for customers who request it.

Im looking for a pricing system though. I know Ill be separating it into groups like the following.

12" and above

Im just not sure how to price driveways from a single drive to a double to a circle.

Anyone have any advice?
  2. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

$175 per time per drive for any of them should get the contracts for sure who cares how many inches there is no matter how long they are. You could offer a discount in they can help you shovel some side walks on other houses also. I have had some success with that.
  3. FLC2000

FLC2000 Junior Member

While I appreciate the response does anyone have anything a little more realistic than charging almost $200 for 20 minutes worth of work and asking senior citizens to shovel their own walks and then pay me for the work they did?
  4. cowbell247

cowbell247 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have been plowing here in the southern part of Indiana for about 5 years or so, but I used to live in north/west Maine so the snow is never as bad here in Indiana. I have found that the easiest way in the grass business and any business that I have been in price the way you should based on real facts.....You should know exactly how much your labor cost is and any piece of your equipment should have an hourly price tag on it. If you know what your expense is you should add about 20% profit and 8-10% overhead to your breakeven dollar amount. In my case this ends up being around $85/hour to plow/shovel snow. The discounts you can offer is either charge by the plowing or by the month as a retainer. Then when you figure your dollar amount you can offer a 10% discount for paying upfront with cash or something of that nature. Hope this helps. I know it helped my lawn care company tremmendously when I put it into practice.
  5. IDST

IDST Senior Member

Heres what I do in MN.

Most of my jobs are seasonal contracts. My contracts are based off the 100 year average for snow here which is 45 inches. After 45 inches i charge 1/6th the contract price for every six inches above that. That is what saved me last year. I only charge for snow plowed not what we get for the year. For example last year we had about 89 inches and we charged for 72. I won't touch a driveway for under $200 for no shoveling and $275 with any shoveling. Shoveling kills me on time. You make your money in that seat. As for per inch I have a $25.00 minimum unless there is four five drives right next to each other. (thats how I get more customers on streets by giving them all a discount) then for 4-6 I tack on 10-15 bucks depending on shoveling or not. 6-12 double the regular price because we will be there at least twice. then anything above 12 there is a charge for every six inches above that. I had driveways last year that normally cost 25 bucks and they cost over $100 for just one big storm. But you have to think about how taxing those storms are on your equipment and body. Good luck:)
  6. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I think the first thing you need to decide is how you are going to charge?, seasonal or by the event? While this is my first year plowing residentials, I can tell you from doing the lawn care thing that each customer is different, and each one has their own perception of what a good deal is? I give them the option of going both ways, as it makes the chances of them signing with you a little higher.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

we get $35-$50 for residential drive and sidewalk. I don't see anyone paying $200 for a residential driveway unless there very large.We can do 3-4 driveways an hour so sometimes more.
  8. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

Don't let Boris bother you...he seems to enjoy posting outrageous comments to get reactions.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto. The going rate around here now for small residentials seems to be at 20-25 for the first level of the contract.

I get maybe one residential per every 5 quotes I do because of this as I won't go below 35 for the first 2-3 inches.

10. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Same thing here^^ 25-35 for rez's minimum, old folks love to shovel keeps them young :)