1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midwest Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by iowastorm, Dec 3, 2000.

1. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

I know it's a little early, but the MRF's latest run just picked up on a low pressure system developing in SE Colorado next Saturday and tracking NE. What caught my attention was the possible sigificant snowfall and extreme cold air that will follow this system: -20* here in Iowa and -30* or more in Wyoming. Not to blow things out of context, but if this system happens to materialize, we could have quite a blizzard on our hands.

Here are the animated links if anybody's interested:

Temperatures:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/displayMod.php3?var=mrf_sfc_temp&loop=1

Precipitation:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/displayMod.php3?var=mrf_sfc_prcp&loop=1

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like I'm gonna be movin some snow on or around Dec. 8 and 10th & 11th (If I'm reading that thing right...)

I one of you who CAN read those things well... could you tell me what you think about northern IL from what those charts are saying? Thanks!

-Tim

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Same for me:
    anyone who can read this stuff, anything headed for western mass?

4. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Slim: IF this model is accurate, looks like N IL will be the receiver of alot of snow and cold temps. If you want to keep updated on it, drop me an email and I'll keep you filled in.

Matthew: Looks like this system will pass thru MI and keep going NE. There might be some light snowfall out your way if temps are below freezing. Still pretty early.

5. bighed

bighed Junior Member

Iowastorm hopefully you are correct on your predictions. I am in iowa also and as you know last year was terrible for the snow removal business. But hopefully it'll be a little later because my turbo 400 is still at the tranny shop getting rebuilt!!!

6. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Storm,

Stop teasing us will ya?? We haven't had a winter in 5 years around here...

Dave

7. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Storm,

When it arrives, send a little to eastern Kansas will you?

Around here, we had to pour salt on the street to see any white stuff (hahaha).

Thanks

8. SlimJim Z71

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!! We'll just start dumping enough salt on our accounts so we have to come back and plow! Genius!!!

9. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

DaveO: It's been a long time since we've had any type of major blizzard. It's funny how 2" will cause people to panic around here. That's why IF this thing materializes, people will be clueless (except the invincibles in their 4wd SUV's).

10. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Storm,

5 years ago we got 100"+. Set a new record. Only real storm since was April fools storm. Got nothin all year then 26" wet/heavy on April 1st. Last year was about 12" total, most of that in one 6-8" storm.

Your right about the SUV's. Everybody's got one and owns the road.

Dave

11. SlimJim Z71

Invincible SUV's??? Oh... those people off in the ditch that you walk up to with tow straps in hand and a big smile on your face, now I remember.

-Tim

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey Iowa,
    I was watching the "weekly planner" at TWC & they're onto your forecast. Saw the big B word on the map out there in the mid west. Keep those fingers crossed.

13. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I saw it too.

Storm's gonna have a busy weekend......

14. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Just got back from plowing and haven't seen the new MRF runs. It's been a weird week so far; plowed twice last Thurs/Fri. night w/ strep throat and had one of my guys slip and hurt his ankle. Did 2 routes overnight and man, am I burnt out (but not complaining!). This is what we live for, right?

BRL; will we fall victim to the Weather Channel jinx?

15. SlimJim Z71

Iowa,

What do you think for Northern IL for Sun through Tues??? Looks like if the temps are right... I'm gonna have my hands full.

-Tim

16. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I hope not Iowa, for your sake & Digger et al. They got us twice this year already, although I think the real jinx on the last one came from Geoff's "you'd better get ready, even the southern NE guys" post ;)

17. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Kind of snowy here now going out to salt later, but it looks like the big snow here is going to be rain........

forecast for Chicago.... Snow showers Thursday 1" to 2" max.....
    Friday cold high 26 low 19
    Saturday warming to the 30's
    Sunday rain high 40
    Monday????????

18. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Here's the first Special Weather Statement put out this afternooon by NWS Lead Forecaster, Chuck Meyers. This is a special circumstance, because they usually don't put these statements out this early. Have to wait and see what happens.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
    353 PM CST THU DEC 7 2000

...FIRST SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS POSSIBLE EARLY NEXT WEEK...

THE SEASONS FIRST POTENTIALLY MAJOR WINTER STORM IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP OVER THE WESTERN PLAINS AND CENTRAL ROCKIES SUNDAY AND THEN MOVE NORTHEAST ACROSS THE PLAINS AND UPPER MIDWEST MONDAY. THE STORM MAY PRODUCE A HEAVY SNOW BAND SOMEWHERE IN THE PLAINS AND UPPER MIDWEST...INCLUDING IOWA. BASED ON CURRENT PROJECTIONS...THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF IOWA AND INTO ADJACENT AREAS OF SOUTH DAKOTA...MINNESOTA AND WISCONSIN HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF SEEING SIGNIFICANT SNOW.

IF THE STORM MATERIALIZES...THE SNOW WOULD LIKELY BE ACCOMPANIED BY HIGH WIND AND VERY COLD WIND CHILLS. THIS MAY IN FACT BE THE STRONGEST IMPACT OF THIS SYSTEM IN IOWA THAN ANY LARGE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

PEOPLE SHOULD MONITOR FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS REGARDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS POTENTIAL WINTER STORM...ESPECIALLY THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL LATE SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

YOU CAN ACCESS WINTER WEATHER SAFETY INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM OUR WEB SITE UNDER THE WINTER WEATHER AWARENESS SECTION. http://www.CRH.NOAA.GOV/DMX

19. crew

crew Junior Member

The Twin Cities say - BRING IT ON!

20. Matt

Matt Member

If this is the first winter storm of the season, I wonder what they call what we have been getting in NW Pa and SW Ny is? Oh thats right it's not a storm just dollars from heaven. Buffalo continues to get all the press while the rest of this is this area continue to get the snow. I haven't added the amounts up yet, but I am sure that we are close to 100" for the year already. John what do your totals for the Erie area add up to? Notic Dino I didn't mention the LE word trying not to hurt your feelings.