1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midweight ultramount turning its slef off.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Johnny Bravo, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

Hi all,

I have a midweight ultramount that has the hand held control controller, it's a few years old and has been giving me some troubles for the last few storms we had.

It's a hit or miss if it does this or not, but I can tell when it's going to happen because the plow will start to slow down when raising it or it doesn't want to go into float right away.

I'll be plowing and then the controller will stop working or turn off. I hit the power button again and as soon as I try to move the plow in any direction, the controller turns its self off. Sometimes I can get it to move once and then it's back to turning its self off when I try to move the blade. After a while it will go back to working, but does move a little slower maybe.

At first I thought it was that the battery was low, charged the battery up & it was back to working. It happened to me again twice today, but I checked the battery and it had a full charged so I'm doubting that it's the battery now. I checked the 3 connections to the plow and the controller connection and they were all hooked up tight.

Any ideas of why the the controller will turn its self off when I try to move the plow ?

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

double ck where the hot wire is inside the cab. might need to ck the fuse as well for the hot wire. actually ck the wire and the connector pull it apart from the fuse block and inspect.

3. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

Well the controller is wired to a double fuse holder that has a 20a and a 5a fuse that's plugged into the fuse slot for the windshield wipers. It seems like it matter which direction it is plugged in, one direction it wont work and the other direction it will.

I'm not sure if the windshield wipers could be related to the problem with the plow, as the wipers only work on the highest setting, but that never did cause a problem before. The wipers did stop working all together last time I used the truck.

I did pull it apart and took a look at it, everything seemed fine and worked when I tried it, the wipers ever started working again.

It mostly seems to have a problem after I've been plowing for a while, should be getting some more snow tonight so I'll have a chance to test it out and see if the plow is still having problems or not.

4. dieselss

Try moving the wire to another ign hot wire

5. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

I checked all the wire connection, moved the controller wire to a different fuse, and still no luck. I have to have at least some wiring issues because the fuse for the heater was melted but didn't blow.

I did check the battery and the voltage was under 12v, charged it for a bit and the plow worked for about a half hour. I'm starting to think that the alternator is bad and that the plow is turning off because the battery isn't getting charged.

Is there a chance that the plow is programmed, that once the voltage in the truck gets low enough that the plow will automatically turn off once you try to move the blade ?

6. dieselss

No. It only needs a little bit of voltage.
    The melted fuse concerns me tho. That's not were you had the clicker plugged into was it?

7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

No it wasn't. It's an old army truck, heard of that happening before with the heater fuse melting, I just haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

I think I'll still stick a new alternator in it, see if that helps at all because either something is draining the batteries or there just not getting charged. Had an issue with the batteries last summer too.

8. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

Just an update.

Think I may have solved the problem with the plow. I went over everything and all seemed fine, but the power cord from the truck to the plow seemed a bit to easy to go together or come apart so I took a flat blade screw driver and spread the prongs on the power cord apart some. Seems like that did the trick because after I did that it was back to working and haven't had any issues with they controller turning off when I tried to move the plow.
    Granted I only plowed once after doing that, but I do think the power connection is what was causing the issue.