1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midweight or Pro on 2013 Ram

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bambislayer09, Oct 30, 2013.

1. bambislayer09

bambislayer09 Junior Member
    from MI

Hey guys, new to the sight, I do have some experience plowing, but not much experience with western plows so I need some advice. First is the truck, 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab. Second the contracts, primary jobs are one 2 1/2 acre parking lot and a decent sized subdivision as well as some driveways. I want to know your guys thoughts on which plow to go with, I am getting mixed answers from the dealers. I would prefer to go with the Pro since its only a few dollar more but is more HD. I am concerned about the weight. Should I go with the midweight to save 150 or so lbs? Will the midweight hold up as long as I don't do any stacking and beat on it? Thanks to everyone for your time!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dodge 1500 CC, definitely the mid weight.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Midweight. That 150lbs could make a whole Lotta difference

4. bambislayer09

from MI

Thanks guys! I went to the dealer today and he suggested the HTS, he said in his opinion its as good or better than the midweight, and a bit lighter. He also has a 1year old model he will sell me for about $1000 less than new. What do you think? Will the HTS hold up for the 2 commercial jobs I have? Is it a good idea to go with the lighter plow or am I sacrificing quality? Should I start looking at some other manufacturers?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Lighter is better with that truck. The plow will hold up if the operator lets it;)

6. bambislayer09

from MI

Yes I will be the only one driving the truck so being the owner I will be easy on everything. I am just one who always buys the most heavyduty equipment made so I am hopping the HTS is comparable in hydraulics and blade strength as the midweight. Also it doesn't use the chain lift system so hopefully that works well.

7. Plow Lady

Plow Lady Junior Member

They remove as much as they can to make it lighter. Midweight is a better choice if you can take it on that truck.

Chains are great if you blow a hose or lose all power, you can still short chain the plow and hump it home.