1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Midweight moldboard switch from poly to steel?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pohouse, Sep 25, 2010.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I'll be purchasing a Midweight 7'6 for my 03 GMC 1500. My dealer has a used midweight poly for sale, however I don't want poly because I may want to put wings on it in the future. The dealer suggested that he may be able to switch out the poly moldboard for a steel one. My concern with this is weight. I'm selecting the Midweight vs. the pro due to it's weight. Since most of the weight on the poly is on the frame, will switching out the moldboard to steel add to the overall weight of the plow? If so, I'm defeating the whole purpose in going with the midweight. The dealer says it will weigh the same. I'm not convinced.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Your only going to "gain" 8 lbs by switching over to the Midweight steel blade.
    Now if your going to go with the same size in the "Pro" series your going to be looking at "adding" another 150 lbs.
    :rolleyes: John...

3. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

yea really...as long as you stick with the midweight steel board. you will be more than fine...thats a tough plow and will hold up with a set of wings as long as you dont plow like a raving blowhole.... :)

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Yeah, I should be fine with the midweight. Just to clarify, can a steel moldboard be put on a poly frame. What would this do to the overall weight of the plow?

5. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Its not just a poly skin...you have to change the entire board..you can have it skinned but i dont think it would be strong enough..Take it from a guy who is tough on equipment.. :)