1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Middle of december and just added another contract!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SNOMACHINE, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Had a meeting this morning with a corperation. That we provide service for already at one distribution center. Had no idea what the meeting was about other than snow and ice control. They asked if we could handle two more sites that are a little more than half the size of the 26 acre site we do now. I was floored!! The only issue is that the other sites are 30 miles away and the other is 45 miles away. Salt is not an issue since USM took over my Wal-Mart. But will be short one loader and pusher. The nice thing is this is all by the hour pay. Also told me that i can charge travel time and that they would have no problem with that they gave me a day to decide and let them know my decision.

This corp. has been a dream to work for. They pay there bills on time with no questions asked. And they love our services. Next year they would like us to take over all there distribution sites in Ohio

What to do, any info?

2. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

A loader can be leased or subbed very easy.

Even if you make no money on the one loader you have the rest of the equipment the walks and the salt.....

if they are a dream, I do not see the question. As long as you can do quality and do it well I would sign with out thouhgt.

Another thing is to start talking now about signing the entire package before the end of the season. If you can keep it off the table more power to you. Think of having most of your worked for next winter signed by MArch 1st!

3. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

do it! this is your chance to really sell yourself and get all of those contracts. like silentroo said, lease a loader, or if you have the need/ability buy another loader. this one should be a no brainer. good luck!

4. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Buying another loader isnt a problem. Or leasing either. The problem is im worried about quality in a timely manor! Our company prides ourselves on customer satisfaction! But i'll grow some bigger balls and go for it.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

the other big question is employees. do you have good managers that will take on these projects and uphold your standards. how long does it take to clean a lot and how many pieces of equip do you need? is it just the one loader?

6. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I got two homes today...most people I contacted in the summer and now decide to take contracts.

7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

If you take over all of Ohio i know where a good manager/sub is in Cincinnati with nice rigs.. Good luck and great job. seriously let me know if you need a little help if they have a location near me.

8. syzer

syzer Member

Id be all over that! Best of luck!

9. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Employees not an issue. I also have 4 guys that sub to me and they are happy to hear about this. We handle the 26 acre area with 1 Loader & 16' protech, 2 trucks for wind rowing. Handles it with no issues. As for managers my company is run by myself, dad, and brother. Then we have 2 job foremans that are in charge of jobs like these. 1 loader would handle one area nicely.

10. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Sorry, nothing in the cinci area, but columbus is one!

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd probably grab em too.......But why are they so late?? In my expierience the late ones are always a problem one way or another, slow or no payers, PITA managers etc. BUT you have a history with them, is that history with snow work? I had a great relationship with landscape maintenance for an HOA, they loved us, when winter came we bid their work fair(but high with HOA headache and 500 bosses factor included) they waited and waited, numerous calles to find out if they had made a decision. They called day before an impending storm, we had to move a machine, mount up a salrter we were going to keep as a spare and just generally run around last minute jumping through hoops to do it right. For landscape services they paid so fast they must have been waiting by the mailbox with their checkbook, for snow they were a real PITA, and 60--90 day payer..........

As far as doing it right with the distance, don't stress it too much, just be prepared to roll out before the weather hits, and try to leave a salt truck onsite with the loader and find a local operator, this way you can have someone on-site quick and garuntee service even if you are delayed getting there.

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry........I didn't see you were already doing snow for them, but still why so late? Did another contractor back out or non-perform?

13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

we just picked up a funeral home this morning when their guy never showed up to salt and they had calling hours at 2 p.m.

14. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

I don't like to brag.....but I will.

Did I ever tell you your my hero
    Sing it Whitney.

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

congrats first off, that's quite a compliment they're paying you. lets say you could solve the equipment issue, do you have the reliable man power its gonna take? the structure to be able to service and check these lots from those distances

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

:D:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

17. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me like you all ready have your mind made up to take it. Good luck, it sounds like it will bring in a decent buck now and in the future.

18. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Contractor Backed out said that he wouldnt be able to handle it. Found out that all he had was a pickup and he was planning on subing out a loader from someone else. I was told that the guy with the loader wanted so much $ up front then so much an hour after. So i dont know who couldnt handle there end of the deal.

Also there payment is 30 to 45 days on the money everytime. We've also done electrical, mechanical, concrete work, asphalt patching, and excavation for them for the past 3 years

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  19. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Best of luck to you. Sounds like a good chance to expand quite a bit.

20. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Yeah we will have the reliable man power. But this will shorten my guys with rest on the big storms, i wont be able to rotate guys much at all but i actually called a meeting with all of them and asked for there input on this issue this afternoon. All agreed that we could they could handle it. Ultimately that's what made the decision.