1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mid-Winter Plow Maintenance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Mar 1, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Do any of you do regular maintenance on your plows? Since the last storm here in Chicago was wet and heavy, I went through my normal maintenance. Checked all the bolts and fittings, greased where necessary, checked all fluids, and then worked on the electrical side of it. Took off all the battery cables to the plow and checked for cracks or corrosion; wire brushed all the terminals and cables, and reassembled using dialectric grease. Checked the trans fluid in the truck, and it was fine.

After all this, we probably wont get any major storms, but if we do, I am ready.
  2. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

NO ONE DOES ANYTHING? Come on guys/gals...just looking to kill the time while theres no snow....
  3. dchr

dchr Senior Member

After each storm plows are washed then checked over religiously:all hardware,bolts,fluid level,grease where necessary. All fluids in truck are checked,tire pressures etc. Salters are emptied and washed out and lubed. If the weather permits and we are not due to get any snow soon I will wash the trucks. Last thing is to top off the fuel tanks for the next storm. I am a preventative maintenance nut but I would rather find something BEFORE it breaks or needs attention.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I check to make sure the plow is still on the truck after my guys get done....lmao
    We check trucks and plows after they get used.
  5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Thats what I'm looking for. I am a maintenance fanatic too with all my vehichles. I was looking to see who else out there does maintenance between storms.

I know others who don't check anything until it breaks. I like to prevent as much down time as possible. Things do happen but I have enough spare parts to fix on the spot, and also have a spare truck just waiting to hit the snow.
  6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I wish I could convince all my clients to do "after snow maintenance" would make my life easier not having to sit in the shop during a sow event because I know they never check anything. Way to go guys keep up the good work
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

It starts with the tires then Look at the brake see if theres any deep groves or spots that shouldnt be. Then all bushing and check the frame for any cracks or anything abnormal. Then drive shafts and brake lines trans lines. Then under the hood its air cleaner oil and washer fluid trans check everything. Plow gets greased on the pivot pins wipe the rams spray with fluid film clean the windows
  8. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

Fill it with gas, clean the windows while I'm there and let the salt's bonding process keep my truck together. I usually spray it down sometime in April.
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I wash the truck and plow. Then check all fluids truck and plow and get ready for the next storm