1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mid storm: HELP! Fisher XV

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BoulderBronco, Apr 3, 2014.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Fisher Extreme V. Left wing will not retract. Will extended but not come back. Does not appear to be electrical, I can hear the pump whine and lights on truck dim. Stuck valve?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

One of my Ez-v did that years ago....like you it was durring a storm. I tried playing with the valves, etc. still did it. In a last ditch of things to try I went to a parking lot with solid poured concrete curbs & gently set the front corner of the plow against the curb, put the truck in low 4wd, & gently gave it some gas, it will trip the presure relief valve....the plow never did it again. Take it for what it's worth.
  3. BoulderBronco

Thanks. During the storm I did try to slam the end against curbs, while holding down the left button, to try to get it to move. It would barely budge. But doing it as you suggested, in 4LOW and slowly might be worth a shot. I'll give it a try when I get back to the plow.
  4. BoulderBronco

No luck with pushing against a curb. So the main problem is the left wing not retracting. Which leads me to believe it's either the pressure line at the head of the left piston is not providing any pressure, or the hydraulic line at the base of the left piston is not allowing fluid out of the piston. To me it's likely the latter meaning some valve is not opening to allow that fluid to pass. The question is how do I know which valve controls what? I have a parts breakdown of all the valves but I don't know which one does what. So... Any suggestions.
    We got more snow coming this weekend and I need to get this fixed.:mechanic:
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fisherplows.com. library....then select mechanic guide for your plow
  6. BoulderBronco

Yup. Found it a little bit ago. But thanks. I was looking at my manuals and the stuff on Fishers site. But I was looking in the wrong area of the site. Found the mechanics guide and BAM!
    It showed more detail than my manual. I then started to realize it was more likely a solenoid issue. Some quick testing showed S6 not responding when going plow left (or left wing in). The solenoid tests fine, it's an electrical issue. The yellow wire is not grounding the solenoid as it should when the control is pressed. I've traced it to the control module but that's as far as it goes. The harness looks good. The case of the module was damaged a couple years ago so this is likely a long time coming. The module back cracked open but I had it duct taped for the last couple years without problems, until now.
    The circuit board looks good but I'm sure there is a bad connection in there somewhere. I did get it working but not knowing exactly where the bad connection is I'm going to order a new module.
    The only question is the correct part number. My manual shows PN 44354. The module on my plow shows 44309. But I can't find any info on that number so it must be 44354. Which appears to also be a Western number for that V plow.
    Anyway maybe this can help someone in the future. We'll see if this old module can last through this coming storm.
    Thanks for the help.:drinkup:
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Western fisher are the same.

What color sticker is on it and how many plugs
  8. BoulderBronco

Just a simple white sticker on both. Got one today.
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure OP is talking about the module on the plow, not the one under the hood.