1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mid Sized Trucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dakota2004, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Hello guys, I've posted a few threads before about putting a plow on my dakota, but i wanted to hear from the guys who plow with the S-10s, dakotas, toyota, all of the mid size trucks. I want to know how you go about each storm from a big blizzard to just a few inches. How does the truck perform you know just give me alittle feed back on how you feel about the trucks performance, I'd also like to know what application you have. I want to put a BOSS 7` sport duty, and Im looking to do some own personal real estate and some friends and family driveways to make alittle extrapayup . :waving: thanks guys.

2. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Oh yeah I want to know what type of plowing do you do with your truck also.

3. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

hey dakota2004,

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 QC/Hemi with a Boss 7-6 standard duty that I use to plow with. I do mostly residential and some small comm. lots. Truck does great for a 1/2 ton, but I treat it well. You should be ok with a 7-0 on your dakota. I installed timbrens in my front end to help the Ind. front susp. You probably will get hammered like I did about needing a 3/4 ton but I needed to use what I had. Just take care of it and don't get rough with the truck and you should be fine. Make sure your truck has tow package and anti-spin diff. on it. If you have the tow package it should have the tranny cooler with it, this is a MUST HAVE! Treat the tranny like a glass ball. Good luck to ya!

4. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

nice, I know what you mean about getting hammered with needing a 3/4 ton a few of my friends say it to me all the time,:realmad: I don't have an anti spin rear diff, but the truck has a tow package and its a sport model so I also have the heavy duty suspension, or at least thats what the sticker said when I bought it, lol. thanks for the input

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The Boss 7' is perfect for that truck. I have seen a few people with up plows as big as the Fisher LD 7'6" on a Dakota. As said above go easy on the truck and I would add that you should not be carrying the plow a second longer than you have to. When your done the plow goes, don't carry it around all winter.

Otherwise you should be fine for residential work just don't get in over your head.

6. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Oh of course, I would put it away as soon as the jobs are done. That plow only weighs like 375lbs give or take so its really light. The timbrens I suggested to the Boss dealer and he was like I really dont think u'll need it but ill get em just to be safe. Is there anything else I should look out for with plowing with the mid size. Ive plowed for the past 4 years in a 96 f-250 and the truck wasnt mine I just used it and left. I just dont know what to expect with the smaller truck and of course Its mine so Im totally going to baby it alot more.

7. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

sound good! only other thing I can think of is the amount of ballast you might need to put in the bed to offset the plow weight a little. I would guess around 300-350 lbs. Go to Boss' web site and it will tell you how much you will need. just use the select a plow button on the web page and follow it from there. I use about 600 lbs of bagged rock salt for my plow and it works great, most of the time I don't even need to use 4 wh. drive when plowing. sounds like you are ready to push some snow.......:) have fun!