1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan's new amber light law

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by squad 51 fan, Apr 23, 2010.

1. squad 51 fan

squad 51 fan Junior Member

due to the results of a 2008 fatal accident in st.clair county michigan, state senator jud gilbert (R) algonac,michigan was in charge of revisions in the michigan motor vehicle traffic code. as of october 1st, 2010. if you own a vehicle used for parking lot maintance,snow plowing ,public or private. you vehicle must have the following in working order.
    (1) amber light
    rotating,oscilating,flashing, visable for 500 ft, cover a 360o arch.
    (2) back-up alarm,
    when the vehicle is in reverse motion device must sound.
    (3)inspection sticker from mi-cis, motor carrier enforcement must be clearly visable.

this is currently sitting on the governors desk and is waiting her signature.

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

This for large trucks right? I don't think I'll need an inspection sticker on my half ton's?

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yes you will! Cost 65$ at belle tire in Taylor, I forgot the guys name that does it though and luckily back up alarms are only 10$, I'll be putting mine on a switch cuz I am not doing driveways at 3 am with an alarm, parking lot; maybe... We'll see!

4. DJ Contracting

Well I'd like to see the inspection form for a pick up then...the only one I have seen and filled out were for larger trucks, thats when I owned dumps and short doubles.

5. squad 51 fan

All.period ,pickups, suv's, if it has a plow blade it has to comply with the law.

6. squad 51 fan

last year i sold 6 back up alarms, and 9 mini-bars,

7. DJ Contracting

Squad 51 so what's the story on (2008 fatal accident in st.clair county michigan) and It doesn't mean it's the law yet and by Oct. 2010 the Canadian will be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! and get a real governer in there. I'm not saying that we shouldn't use all safety precautions however there are a lot of moron's out there, I have two back up (back up lights with alarm built in them) lights/alarms in each plow vehicle and amber lights...but like I said there are a lot of moron's. I'm just saying

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I will be the first one to say I will not be putting a alarm on my truck. I will probably pass on the inspection aswell. I take care of my equipment, and I don't look like a half a$$ run business.

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

if you are operating on private property how can they regulate what you are doing

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

11. squad 51 fan

Gladly, in november of 2008 a 87 yr old female was struck by a contractor ,whom was backing up and didn't see the person in their mirror, the driver was arrested on the accident scene for neligent homicide. he is currently serving 18-36 monthsat a undisclosed michigan prison, per the investigation with st.clair county sheriff's department and msp richmond post. the vehicle was a 2004 ford f-450 super duty dump truck , the vehicle had external headlights only, no back-up alarm no amber light. the company is based in macomb county. in october of 2009 sen.gilbert took over the seat of the transport committee. the law passed the house in january and cleared the senate in feb.2010 . our mi-cis( osha office) fined the company 250.000$

12. squad 51 fan

the private property was a group home for senior citizens!, the company was a licensed "groundkeeping business" it was only their second year doing "snow removal" and has changed it's policies.

13. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

A little more information on the law waiting to be signed, it is for commercial snow removeal vehicles only. Senate Bill No. 980 is a bill to amend 1949 PA 300, entitled "Michigan VehicleCode," by amending section 698 (MCL 257.698), as amended by 1998 PA 247, and by adding section 682c. (A person shall not operate a commercial snow removal vehicle to remove snow or ice on a public street or highway or in a parking lot accessible for use by the public unless both of the following apply: A: The vehicle isoperated with at least 1 flashing, rotating, or oscillating yellow or amber light that is clearly visible in a 360-degree arc from a distance of 500 feet when in use. B: The vehicle is operated with a reverse signal alarm audiable above the surrounding noise level or the vehicle is backed up only when an observer signals that it is safe to do so. This sudivision does not apply if the vehicle is being operated within 200 feet of a residence between the hours of Midnight and 7am."

There is more to the bill, however it does not require a permit as sated above and does not apply to all snow plow vehicles. A person plowing private drives is not required to comply. Also the law as stated would not cover the senior home that the accident occured on, if the plowing is done between midnight and 7am.

14. squad 51 fan

on the date the senior citizen was killed the accident happened at 4:00 in the afternoon, and as for a permit per mi-cis it's 2 inspection stickers , #1 white m.s.p.motor carrier inspection sticker # 2 proof of current compliance with bill 980, its a ugly purple color. i all ready seen them at the richmond post. "note state trooper's will be carring copies of the revisions with them"

15. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The sticker you are talking about with MSP is the Michigan Dept. of Transportation comercial vehicle sticker. This is required for comercial vehicles and also requires the driver to have a CDL license. MI-CIS does not issue any kind of permit, this is part of the Michigan Dept. of Education and stands for Michigan Compliance Information System. They are used to educate persons/schools on Special Education requirements.

The bill has passed the Senate but still has not passed the House. It is specific as to what and who are required to comply with the law. Persons doing driveways are not required. Vehicles used on the public roads and parking lots open to the public are required, if it is being used as a comercial vehicle. If the owner of the lot open to the public or his agent is doing the plowing, they are not required to have the lights or alarm (not a good idea, but is how the law is worded). Private vehicles are not required either. The bill states that it only applies to commercial vehicles (vehicles that are paid to plow).

A home owner, business owner(doing his own property), even commercial vehicles just doing drives, do not fall under this law. Local ordinances may be more strict and they also require a license for commercial vehicles plowing in their local.

The accident where the woman was killed happened at Fort Gratiot in 2008. She was looking down to see where she was walking so as not to slip. Do to noise of traffic on the street near by she could not hear the truck. The driver backing up did not see her.

16. squad 51 fan

jk did you down load the information from the timesherald website or were you there at the scene like i was?

17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

like michigan has nothing else to worry about ... no jobs .. forclosures up the rear ... but because someone got ran over by a plower .... the states gonna stop ...... people get hit everyday by cars trucks and buses ... its just another reason to bring in revenue to the state and desperately needs it ..

18. DJ Contracting

Sorry you don't go to prison until proven guilty, so he must be serving time for unrelated charges or warrants I believe you on the bill but not the story.

19. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i am surprised they can regulate what you use on private property what about if you dont use a truck but a loader. up here you dont even have to have it registered if it is on private lands

20. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Because if they see you thy can bust you, just like if a cop sees you doiing pot inside your house, he can bust you, but he has to see you and he can just go righi in your house without a warrent! But around here, most driveways are straight shots, so that means that once you back up, unless you don't backdrag, they can bust you, but most likely you'll have to back up at least once, and they can bus you on commercial properties...

I was talking to a guy today about this, and he said "his backup alarm saved his a$$!" he hit a guy last summer and had to go to court, and they judge told the victim "if you can't see or hear this guy then you shouldent be on the street at all!" the plow driver also had a beacon, and his alarm was on a switch. Which was on...

But I have hide aways, and a beacon and I think iam going to buy a back up alarm so I don't get busted cuz it's only like 10$ Plus wire plus a switch,

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010