1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan Town Lowballs the lowballer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by REAPER, Jan 6, 2011.

1. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

City spreads salt by hand when truck breaks

January 06, 2011 9:01 AM
    BANGOR, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – The first blast of snow this week had salt trucks out in full force.

But in Bangor a driver caught a bizarre sight as he followed a road crew.
    The driver took video of a couple of men in the back of the truck tossing out fist fulls of salt.

We wanted to know why so we called up the City of Bangor.
    A city official told us they've only got one salt spreader and it broke down.

When that storm came through they had to salt the roads somehow and this is what they came up with.
    The truck is fixed now and ready to run when the next storm hits.

Story

Seriously, how much would it save what they paid in labor just to hire a sub with a v-box.

2. LOL believe it or not last year I actually saw a local contractor---who is well known in the area as a lowballer--- driving around in a townhouse complex he does with 2 guys in the bed of his old dually pickup "spreading" salt from a pile of bulk in the bed with BEER PITCHERS!!!! That a municipal gov't would actually do something is absurd though! :dizzy:

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I want to see that video

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

They probably had to unload the truck anyway.

5. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

did what they had to do to get it done. Roads were salted.

6. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

shoot a few holes in the tailgate the salt will fall out.....

7. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Back when I was about 16 or so (im 32 now) and worked for my local TWP, they had a late 70's 2WD Chevy dump truck with a plow and NO spreader as their only truck. They collected ashes from the locals on trash pickup days and 2 of us would stand in the dump body and throw the ashes out with shovels. We didn't do all roads, only some hills. It's a very small township.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

that must have sucked for the guys back there but they got the job done

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Hey what ever it takes

10. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yup they got it done.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

See, now that's funny!!! That town is about 250 people (give or take a couple hundred) and most of them are missing most of their teeth and have some have sweet mullets. I could picture them doing something like that. I guess times are tight for every one. Maybe next time one breaks down they could call the city of South Haven and borrow one of their trucks (they are just a few miles away).

Note: Please don't take this post too seriously, I'm just trying to paint a picture for others who are reading this thread to see what kind of town it is:D:D:D

12. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

we have a "contractor" here that ues that method for all his lots. he has either a couple guys riding in the back of the truck throwing salt with coffee cans of on a couple smaller lots they walk around with 50# bags of salt and throw it by hand. guess when you only charge $65 to plow and alt a 3/4 acre lot thats what u got to do.

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I thought Bangor Mi was in the North, not down here in the south....
    That sounds like the people from all around here, and I see some of the cities doing the same thing, not cause there spreader is broke, but casue they don't have one :)..

I guess people are the same, no matter were you go....gotta love the good ol USA.

14. cretebaby

Hey what's wrong with "feeding the chickens"? :popcorn:

15. Lol how 'bout even coverage?

16. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Wow, That's just stupid. Better off having a guy walk the road with a push spreader. And for safety a guy in a pickup truck with strobes behind him.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've drove around unloading a 4 yard V Box, figured we had to unload it anyways might as well salt the lot. Plus it was the only salter we had at the time. We all started somewhere.

18. cretebaby

That is how I do sidewalks only I pour the bag into a bucket. You couldn't get it any more even.

19. Yeah thats fine for walks.....I was referring to the guys throwing out the back of the truck for roads/lots

20. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It's been said, they got the job doneThumbs Up. I know that would NEVER happen around here. I did it once, I think 2002 we got freezing rain the end of October. I had salt but didn't have the salter on the Freight yet (we were still landscaping) It was a Sat night all I had to salt was a Church. That was a heck of a workout throwing shovel fulls of salt trying to "spread" it as my brother was driving. He might have thrown salt but I'm pretty sure I did more