1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

michigan snowblowers taking over plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ltlm, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ltlm

ltlm Member

news flash customers tired of snowplow drivers tearing up thier place. they pay for you to plow and damage thier yards. now if you dont fix it they have to hire someone to. thats why so many customers are switching so if you cant get plowing contracts offer snowblowing and your phone will be ringing. we set up our 3rd tracter last year they were averging $200 an hr each this year were setting up our 4 unit were getting the bobcat toolcat faster ground speed can handle 2 workers tighter turning. were working on a 3 point hitch for back blades. our sevice offers damage free snow management. our goal is to add one unit every year for ten years. then it will be a new one every year to replace an old one.
  2. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Brand/ Make ?

A friend of mine got one installed on a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton, said it was only 800 lbs but actually added another 2000 lbs to the front end the way it just hangs out their. Do you charge the same cost as you do for plowing ? You must of had some operator's who didn't know how to use the lift button, right ? We occasionally get into someones lawn, but thats why so many who snowplow are also in the landscaping business..isnt it ?:cool:
  3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Here in da UP we have no choice but to plow on the grass. With the amount of snow we get we have to push the banks way back onto the yard, just so there is still enough room in the driveway for the customers cars.

Here, the general rule of thumb is to either skip plowing the first snow....letting the ground freeze and leaving a base of snow to protect the grass. But, then you are skipping a billable event, so what I do is plow with the shoes at about a half inch or so, and still leave enough snow to build the base, but get the billable event on the books.

Either way, its MANDATORY that you plow onto the grass. Or, warn the customer that in February we'll have to hire a loader and dump truck to clean the banks.

4. ltlm

ltlm Member

all our workers know how to plow. when we buy plows first thing we do is junk the shoes and put pipes on. in 18 years weve never used shoes just pipes and no damage. since we do lawn and land scape maint. we pick up alot of jobs from other contracter that just dont care or shouldnt be plowing. public works --county plows do enough damage. what is also great about blowing is i only spend $35.00 on fuel for 15 hrs running time full bore. all our commercial contracts love it no piles left on lots. we also have 4 smaller lots that we have to haul snow same time as plowing so we make pile then blow in truck. we do 2 alleys drive truck down tracter follows truck and blows it in the truck quick and fast. yes our rate per hr is higher but you have no loader work. ill find pics of our 2000--2001 season 5ft in 3 days christmas storm.
  5. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

PIPES vs shoes

ITLM - You lost me on this one? What do you mean by putting pipes on? thanks.
  6. ltlm

ltlm Member

you take a 2 in steel pipe the length of the blade then cut a slot down the center of the pipe weld 2 end brackets to the pipe. drill holes into bracket and plow bolt it on. we call them sod savers local machine shops make them and sell them for 50 bucks or you make your own.
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I think I understand what you are saying but please post a pic if you can.

8. LDA

LDA Member

does it effect the plows scraping ability with the rounded edge?? does it ride up on the snow?
  9. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Im from the same area as ltlm and I see this done all the time. It works great for when the ground is soft. It doesnt scrape hard packed snow very well, but still clears well. If you dont mind leaving a little bed of snow, you can just leave it on and it glides along the ground easier therefore reducing wear on the truck. The company plow where I work is set up this way. I have it removable for my little plow, and it works just like it does with the big plows.

Oh and I remember that 5 ft storm. I was the only one of the engineers who made it to work.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  10. ltlm

ltlm Member

drawing atached
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  11. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

If you are going to install this to protect the surface from the cutting edge, why not just use the shoes that came with your plow?

As I said earlier, once the ground is frozen (at least here anyway) I take the shoes off anyway.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

because if you use the shoes n muddy ground you will dig 6" wide trenches where the shoes are
  13. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Yeah, thats true. But, if the ground is so soft that the shoes are going to dig trenches, wouldn't your tires too?

After the first storm we don't get much muddy ground until the spring thaw. And then you don't need to go onto the grass because its the end of the season...and banks don't need to be pushed back as far.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I realize things can happen but if its becoming such a problem why dont these companies take the time and teach the drivers a more. If I were a customer I would rather have a little grass peeled back than a broken window when its 10 degrees out.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

ltlm, please keep us updated on the 3-point arms for the Toolcat. I have been waiting for Bobcat to come out with an OEM 3-point hitch and am just about sick of waiting for them.

If you figure out a way, could you let me know?

16. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Itlm, how far below the cutting edge do you mount this? Have you ever thought of mounting in the shoe bracket? Seems like it would be easier to remove when needed. Might put too much stress on them.

More questions.. do you bolt to the end of the plow? With a single bolt, looks like they may tend to pivot, or is that part of the design?

Why cut the center slot?

Thanks again!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  17. ltlm

ltlm Member

This type of sod saver is made to slide over your cutting edge. That is what the slot is for the 2 bolts hold it in place so it dosent fall off. if you need to scrape lots undo the 2 bolts and pull it off. So the slot has to be wider then the cutting edge.