1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan residential snowfall ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adam5557, Oct 11, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i will be doing residential driveways this year and was interested if you guys could give me some comments. I am not sure to go with a per inch pricing because it would be hard to be accurate on how much it snowed and it would be time be consuming to measure the snowfall. I was also thinking on doing a seasonal contract, but i need some input on how many snowfalls you base it on for the southeast michigan area.Also if you could give me a average price for a seasonal contract in our area.Any input would be greatly appreciated.thank you

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i ussually plan on 8-10 plowable snowfalls.... this is the figure i ussually bas my commercial seasonal contracts on....I dont like doing seasonals but some HOA's and condo complexes will only do it this way.

4-5 = 1-3"
    2 = 4-8"
    1-2 = 8-12"
    1 = 12"+

As far as per inch i will ussually base it off of the NWS (National Weather Service) recorded ammounts...unless im dealling with a site that gets alot of drifting then i just make my own determination.

As far as residential snow removal prices im clueless....we only do commercial work and wont take on resi work

3. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey thanks anyone else have some input on residential seasonal contracts?Should i go with a seasonal contract or Per inch pricing

4. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

FOR THE RESIDENTAIL SEASONAL I CHARGE $600.00 THIS COVERS 5 MONTHS. BUT IF IT SNOWS OVER A 12'' INCHES IN A SNOW FALL I SEND THEM A BILL FOR AN EXTRA $60.00. THE PER INCH I DONT DO I DONT THINK YOU MAKE SA MUCH MONEY AS PER HOUR.:redbounce

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds about right, I get around $500.00 a season.

6. adam5557

adam5557 Member

What is the average snowfall in minnesota,is it similiar to s.e michigan?Also for a guy in his first year of snow removal would you reccomend seasonal contract or per inch. Does that $500 include walkways also what size are those driveways.sry about so many ?'s i am just curious.thank you guys.adam

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

We get about 50"-60" mine are normal size driveways (2-3 car long x 2 car wide) and no, that does'nt always include walkways..

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

snow removal prices vary so much from location to location....the price from minn is going to be completely differant than se michigan.

i would try to find someone you know to call up a couple of residential snow removal companys in the area and get them to bid there property

9. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Seasonal is good cause you can get a monthly check and know what you're bringing in. I would try and get a muti year contract that way you can average out better. Otherwise I would do per push. 1-3 $xxx 4-7 $xxx 8-up $xxx. Base your snow fall on the local forcast.