1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan Laws regarding lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Nov 4, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

how come the police never do anything about white strobes, at least around here anyway. Almost all the survey crews have them that are independtly owned. They drive me nuts because i start to slow down thinking its an emergency vehicle :nono:
  3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Emergency Flashers

You know.....it just occurred to me.

The standard emergency flashers on my truck don't conform to Michigan law. They flash amber in front, but in the back they flash red. So, TECHNICALLY, having my stock emergency flashers on is against Michigan law.

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The law has so much "grey" area.. there is nothing in it regarding tow trucks, which I ran for years using red and amber lights. I was told they were ok unless you were moving. Never been bothered with the amber lights on a plow truck, but got yelled at by a local cop for not having it on while backing into a roadway. kinda crazy isn't it
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a friend who is a cop,asked him about strobes last year when I had mine installed. He says most cops will not bother you unledd you are running down the road with the wrong color strobes flashing. I have amber,yellow,and white on my truck but only run them when I'm in the lot plowing or pushing snow across the street. As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to change the whites over to amber just to be safe. White is nice and bright thats why alot of guys run them.

Regards Mike
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Tow Trucks

It says that both amber and red are legal on tow trucks. Red can only be used when engaged in the removal or assistance of a vehicle.

Amber can be used when the warning light is needed for public safety.

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Do people pay attention to a amber strobe or revolving light? Seems I still get people that don't see me. Could it be people are just used to them. I've often thought about running a different color on private property but that would probably be a mistake.
  8. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Depends on condition

I think it depends on condition...AND how SEVERE the light looks.

If I'm driving down the highway on a sunny-clear day. And there is an amber light flashing on the shoulder, I assume its a surveyor, or road crew working off the roadway. I probably don't slow down too much.

If the amber light appears to be in MY lane of traffic. I'll slow down and change lanes.

If its a snowy-yukky day with poor visibility...and there is an amber flashing light ahead...I assume that its a dangerous situation and I always slow down to figure out whats going on.

My #1 complaint with some plowers is the ones that don't have bright enough rotating lights. Those cheap-o wal-mart lights with the low wattage bulb, just don't give the impression of EMERGENCY. The make me think of a mail-man or something. (Who I don't slow down for)

If I pull up to a construction site and there is just a little flashing amber light...I don't consider the danger very great. If there are flashing lights all over the place...i consider the danger much more prevalent.

9. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I just recently bought a pickup truck fitted with a snow blade, mostly for personal use clearing my families' driveways and such. It's an '81 Chevy K20 Scottsdale, if that makes any difference.

My understand was that a plow truck needed to be fitted with amber warning lights if it was going to be near, or on, a public road with the blade in use,. As in, pushing the snow from a driveway into a pile across the street. It was also my understand that these amber warning lights were to be in use any time one was snowing near public traffic. As in using it to plow the streets in a trailer park, apartment complex, parking lots, etc etc. Is that true?
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well first off you should be slowing down anyway for them, just to be nice.

Second off this list is pry so old, it def. needs to be updated. If you look at all the undercover police cars that are around now, according to the sheet, they need a light on the roof of the vehical.
  11. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

AMBER AND CLEAR ONLY in michigan unless your fire apparatus, emt or law enforcement.. wich most cases they run clear and red or strictly red