1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mice in Engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mac3897, Jan 23, 2003.

1. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

Anybody ever have this happen before?
    I just got my oil changed and when they took out the air filter there was a large (about the size of a small pillow) amount of instullation under the air filter. Apparently there was a mouse making a nest in it.

Does anybody think that this have caused any damage to the engine at all????

Mac

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

not my truck but

I have seen it many of times at my friends shop :waving: usually they haven't ate thru the filter so it shouldn't be a problem.;)

I told him to get a cat in the shop & the mice will be gone in no time.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check any wires that run under the air filter or to the carb. Mice LOVE to chew on anything and everything. The other place they like to make nests is in the heater core. Does your heat work good? I had a used Jeep I bought. The heat didn't work, and the previous owner said it never really worked too good. I felt the heater core housing, and it was always hot. I took it apart, and you could not have packed any more seat foam into the housing! The mice had it filled tight. Heat worked great after that, but the smell was horrible!

My 80 GMC doesn't have A/C, so it has those floor vents. Every fall I make sure I close them, so mice can't get in the cab.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It probably hasn't done anything to the engine,unless they chewed right through the entire filter,AND it ingested something metallic or hard enough to do any damage.I wouldn't worry.I'd be more worried about eliminating the mice,so they don't do it again.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we see it all the time sometime no damage so times they get towed in with the wiring harness chewed apart , worst thing i ever saw a customers car was towed in we lift the hood theres cat hair everywhere the cat was shreaded all over the engine compartment.

cardoctor:eek: :eek:

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck,
    Gotta watch out for the Hanta virus with those critters, especially running that hot air over the "left-overs" if you know what I mean. Pretty rare here in the east, but since I read about that, I always spray any area that had a mouse in it with some of the kitchen cleaner with bleach and clean it really well. Of course, that in your heat wouldn't have smelled to good either !:D

7. snowflake

snowflake Member

i thought thats what chebys used for horse or i mean mouse power for motors

little mices spinnin in a wheel
    :nod:

8. nben

nben Senior Member

My girlfriend's parents were having trouble with their Cadillac STS. Took it to the dealer and the mechanic there found chewed wires/insulation to the main harness by the steering column. They remembered seeing a chipmunk in their garage about a month earlier. Moral to the story........almost a $4000 bill!

Needless to say, the traps went in the yard immediatly. No more "cute" chipmunks running around their yard!!:D

9. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again?????

Mac

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Fritos corn chips,a pail of water and a wooden board.

Lay the fritos out around your truck.Leave the pail of water in the corner near the truck with the board against the side,like a ramp.

Problem solved.

11. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

12. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

Actaully I have 2 cats. Apparently they are on strike or something. :)

13. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

mac3897

its funny how they do that sometimes, is'nt it.

my cats do the same thing, sometimes.

14. Plowingsince73

Plowingsince73 Junior Member

Stop feeding your cats!!!!:D

15. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

out at my dads farm last winter the mice chewed threw all of the wireing on the combine...needless to say you can't sit in that combine anymore with out being over come by the moth ball smell!
    oh i guess dryer sheets work ok too!

16. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

when i used to change oil add a lube shop we used to pull the air filters and find dead birds, mice, and once in january we pulled the air filter and found a snake coiled up inside staying worm on the engine heet.

17. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Our Jeep had a mouse or mice nest on top of the exhaust manifold last summer. It went a few weeks without being run and when I started it up I (fortunatly) let it run for a few minutes before I took off. I thought I could smell something burning, so I opened the hood and the grass they'd made the nest out of was just starting to smolder...

Then there's the snake story...

The International dump truck would often sit for weeks between uses in a yard in a rural area. One night I picked it up and took it home (in the city). Next day I'd made about 3 hour long trips with it when I noticed about six inches of snake hanging below the dashboard, just riding along on the wires there. Not the front of the snake, or the back of the snake, just some six inch part in the middle. Anyway, I figured that he'd been happy there for at least an overnight stay and three hours of driving, so I kept an eye on the part I could see and went the rest of the way back to the job.

Once I got there we opened both doors and got a piece of rebar bent into a hook and started poking at him. He crawled the rest of the way up under the dash, actually on top of the outside of the glovebox. I opened the glovebox door and sorta loosened a corner of it. He looked at me and stuck out his tongue. He turned and started back down further under the dash, and when I got the chance I grabbed his tail. His head was sticking out by the pedals, and I still had his tail out through the door of the glovebox. I just gave him slack until he hit the floor and slithered out the door. The guy I was working with caught him, put him in a bucket, took him home and let him loose there. He was a Black Snake, about five feet long.

There was lots of mouse nest stuff in the heater of that one too, so I imagine he was looking for dinner when he went in there.