1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MI Skid Steer Plow Rates

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MJK, Sep 23, 2009.

1. MJK

MJK Member

Just wondering what Subs are being paid in SE Mi for Skids with a plow box on it. Thanks for the help.

2. MJK

MJK Member

Did a search, no real info found

3. MJK

MJK Member

Nobody on this site from MI subs out skid steer work in parking lots?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

As competitive as this industry is, and then in Detoilet, I wouldn't give out my rates either.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We use a fair amount of equipment, however I am not a fan of skid steers in open parking lots. My info shows your basic truck and plow will out perform that kind of set up in parking lots.

They do have a place in squirrel cages, condo drives and certain tight areas though. I won't pay more than a truck rate for one if that helps.

6. MJK

MJK Member

Yes that does help. I"m not looking to sub the work out, I'm looking to work as a sub for someone and I just wanted to see what the market calls for a sub with a skid. Just wanted to see if it is worth my time is all.

Thanks to those who helped.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

For you sitting in your own machine with an 8-10' box, I'd charge around $100-125. They usually get billed $200 plus.

8. Mark Oomkes

Wow, not even close to that around here.

I can get a 4 yd loader for the lower end of those rates. With operator.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Those bill $3-350 here

10. Mark Oomkes

And THAT is why it just goes to show it is totally and completely pointless to ask anyone what the rates are in across the board.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Subs in this area will get (depending who you sub to & machine/box combo) between $45/hr - $85/hr For SS's.

12. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Jim, if you don't mind me asking, what would you use to clear this lot? I was thinking skid with an 8' box, but your post made me think otherwise. Maybe a truck with a V?

[​IMG]

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would say a big loader with a 12'-14' pusher and a skid steere. Or a big truck (5500) with a big V or Wideout type plow and a Skid with an 8' pusher. But you will be there for a long time with just a skid.

14. lawnprolawns

That section is only 5-6 acres.. two pushers? Yikes..

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A skid with 8 or 10ft box would smoke that.

16. Mark Oomkes

Truck or SS for setup, loader with 16' pusher.

17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I'd get two of something in there! 6 acres can be alot when its snowing hard & full of cars.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

LOL now thats funny

14' box and a skid you would have a 3" snow cleared in 1.5-1.75 hours. Then what will you do, drive the skid down the road at 3 mph to your next lot. Its only a 5 acre parking lot :)

19. lawnprolawns

No No No. Put on a skid steer show with a five gallon bucket set out for donations. It would be a hit. Or a demolition derby with a loader.... the possibilities are endless.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You just can't push the snow back far enough effectively with a skid steer. You'll run into trouble quick with back to back accumulations.

It also depends on how much time you are willing to be there. A truck alone, or a skid steer alone will do that lot.......I wouldn't plan it that way though. You have a lot of islands there to detail around.

I have a feeling you are not showing all of the paved areas that need to be plowed on this site. Where's the back of the building?

Get a real loader for that with a 14'/16' pusher and a truck.