1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MI sales tax

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Ground Cover, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Ground Cover

Ground Cover Junior Member

is snowplowing subject to collecting sales tax in the state of michigan?

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

No, but you should already know this !

3. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

4. Ground Cover

that was the understanding i had with my tax accountant and then i over heard another contractor talking about collecting sales tax. made me a little nervous. my tax guy wont me around till tuesday and i didnt want to stew on it that long. Thanks for the replies

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

No service tax here in Michigan. They have tried their hardest but we have not let them, they wanted to tax gumball machines but exempt golf lessons...hmmm wtf?! It is a strange feeling having the budget balanced for the next TWO years and not being threatened with a Gov shutdown every month. And to think they wanted Jenny from the block to be President?!

6. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

Were they billing the salt separate from the application of it or something? If so the salt would be taxable.

7. Ground Cover

im not sure. when i do my billings i do the salt a a pre determined apllication charge Example $125 per application december i had 2 salting events so the customers bill was $250 i pay the sales tax on the salt when i purchased it earlier on.

8. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

Then it is "included" with a service and should not be taxable, although then you
    might be liable for paying tax when you buy it then.
    Under normal circumstances the "end user" must pay the tax on an item. I know there is some industrial processing exemptions but that would be beyond my expertise, I would certainly discuss with your accountant.

9. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

No, No COGS no sales tax.

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

In WI I charge sales tax on most of my summer services - mowing, installs, hedge trimming, ect.

But not on snow work. Tax laws are strange...?