1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MI insurance question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Diesel Dan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I have a 3/4 ton that has full comprehensive coverage as my personal vehicle.

I plan to plow by the hour for an established company.

What type of additional insurance will I need to cover my snow plowing?

Thank you
  2. v8envy

v8envy Junior Member

I would also like to know?
  3. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

General Liabilty policy too..mines 850 a year

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

A commercial policy. What you have now is useless if something happens while you are plowing. :bday:
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

C'mon...should have let them keep squirming.
  6. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Not true. First inform your agent that your going to plow snow, second have them increase the liability limits to $1000000. The city snow plowing license requirements also state: Automotive Liability/Combined Single Limit $1 Million Liability Amount. I have insured 6 plow trucks and 2 salt trucks through state farm under my personal policy for 18 years and have never had a problem with a claim.
  7. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

my GL ins, is 1000000, on top of my truck policy..im fully insured...im not stupid!!..that why you dont work cheap..death too the lowballers with no ins!!!..
  8. mud

mud Senior Member

General Liability
    Commercial Auto
    And in some cases depending on the company you are plowing for a work comp policy.
  9. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Diesel Dan, I am an independent insurance agent. Your personal auto policy will not cover any business pursuits . You must have a business or commercial auto policy to cover these plow trucks otherwise you not be covered in the event of a serious claim while you are plowing with the truck. It makes no diffference which carrier you are with. You will also need a General Liability (GL) policy which covers you after you have left the job site for trip and fall claims. Contact a local independent agent for quotes I don't practice in Michigan. Good luck.
  10. vmurray

vmurray Junior Member

Similar situation here in the north.... commercial coverage required for all motorized vehicles used in operations.... and getting a carrier is tough with the high potential of slip and fall claims... even with hold harmless in contract. State Farm won't touch it.

Sucks big time because I also have Home, 2 private passenger vehicles, 1 commercial vehicle and an ATV insured with them but they won't even quote my commercial needs for snow clearing. Probably time to move all my business to a better home. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013