1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyers xpress E68 issues

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by s&f, Mar 6, 2008.

1. s&f

s&f Junior Member
    from NH

Has anyone had problems with the xpress moldboard hitting the lift arm and denting moldboard, and angle cylinders hitting the push frame?? Plow is 3 mos old.
    Brought to dealer who modified the plow stops (welded in .25" shim) at Meyers direction and replaced dented moldboard under warranty. First time out did the same thing but worse. Now dealer and Meyers say it's abuse. Failure to lift blade when hitting bank. This is kind of standard procedure anyhow, so it's always being done. The problems occurred while two different operators were using the plow. Both operators use all our other plows for several years never having a problem. At this point Meyers won't cover it. Any input??

sf

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lift arm hitting the moldboard: Normal.

On the xpress mounts you have to raise the lift arm as your stacking. Changing the chain length or adding more to the stops wont prevent it. You have to get that long protruding lift arm out of the way before the blade comes up.

Angle cylinders hitting the push beam: Also somewhat normal.

Sloppy design clearance's allow the ram body to contact the push beam. Easiest fix for that is to limit the push beam travel in the stops by welding a 1/4" piece of steel in the stop, top and bottom.

3. s&f

s&f Junior Member
    from NH

Hi B&B
    Thanks for the response. Have you encountered these problems yourself?? I know your saying these problems are normal, but don't you think they are really design flaws that the manufacturer should be addressing??? Raising the lift arm during stacking is SOP with any plow and we were doing it with this plow as well as our other plows, but alot of things can come into play here...i.e. controller response time is slow on this plow compared to our Western or even our Meyers plus, speed at which bank is approached, how hard is the bank, driver reaction time, speed of plow hydraulics. Given all these things, why design a plow that the moldboard is going to hit the lift arm? The plow is rated for commercial use, why should we who use the plows commercially accept it as normal??

I'm not triing to challenge your opinion at all, only tring to dtermine what you and other pro's think about this
    Thanks again for you post

SF
    '05 Chevy 4500 Dura/Allision Western 9' Pro Plus
    '02 Chevy 2500HD Dura/Allison 8' Meyers Plus
    '04 Chevy 2500HD Dura/Allison 8' Meyers Xpress

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You shouldn't have too..;)

Yes I have dealt with these very same issues on the Xpress mount style Meyer stuff. Had 3 local guys here that ran the Xpress's the last two seasons. One was purchased new in '06, and 2 in April '07. All three of them had these exact same issues (among others).

After the dealer(s) couldn't supply the owners with solutions under warranty, and after several tries to resolve them, they brought them in for a little "re-engineering" so to speak.

After adding length to the stops, welding material in the push frame stops to limit the side to side travel, and finally changing the lift arm slightly, we got them to where they could stack without interference (still have to raise the plow) and could complete a snow event with relative reliability. The first guy ran his the rest of the season and traded it in on another new plow (not a Meyer).

The other two Xpress's that are owned by the same company are getting traded in the last I heard as soon as this season is over, as they have had enough of them. Between the damaged moldboards, failed controllers, problematic connecting plugs and the fact that the manufacture claimed it was all due to abuse, they've decided to throw in the towel on their Xpress plows.

I doubt you'll find many more first hand opinions on the Xpress plows as they're just isn't that many of them out there.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes but look at meyer's history. we're still waiitng for them to fix the crossover releif issues with the E-47

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As well as the:

hand held controllers
    quick couplers
    interference issues
    multi pin plug issues
    light module problems
    and attachment issues.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I didn't have all day to complete the "waiting" list, i see you did the short version also:rolleyes:

But they still move snow:nod:

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

dont for get the aframes that r like paper. i dno who made those what a moron

9. s&f

s&f Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks again for the replys guys. So we're saying Meyers has a history of not responding to problems. B&B you've seen three of these xpress' with problems. Anyone else out there?? Any Meyers dealers have any input on the xpress?? Meyers...do you have any input?

SF
    '05 Chevy 4500 Dura/Allision Western 9' Pro Plus
    '02 Chevy 2500HD Dura/Allison 8' Meyers Plus
    '04 Chevy 2500HD Dura/Allison 8' Meyers Xpress

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More than just those three... simply used those three as examples since they were under my watch from the point of installation :).

11. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

I have had an Xpress since early on 2005 and have not had any issues with it yet. This is the best plow in the world for ease in mounting and dismounting.