1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers won't lift!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Bowtieguy, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around here quite a while and have learned quite a bit! I have a '90 Chevy 3500 with a 7.5' Meyers e-47 with a Slick Stick. Last yr the plow was fine. I hook up to it tonight as i want to flush it out. When i go to lift it i hear the selenoid under the hood popping/clicking but the plow won't lift. I don't see any broken wires...any ideas? New motor or is the selenoid under the hood bad??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go over all your battery cable connections first. Make sure they're clean and tight.. If they're all good, use a set of jumper cables off the battery directly to the motor to see if it then runs..(BE CAREFUL OF BLADE MOVEMENT!!) if it does then you either still have a poor connection somewhere or the under hood solenoid is bad.

If you jump it with the cables and it still won't run then the motor is more than likely froze up. Many times they just need disassembled and the cleaned in the brush holders and armature..

3. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Thanks B&B. I tried it out and sure enough the motor ran! I hav'in i feeling the ground isn't good. I'll play with it some more this week.
    Thx for the advice!

4. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Does the motor run when you hit the switch? If it ran when you juiced it with 12V, that means the ground is good for the motor. Does the plow angle? If it angles, you got a valve problem on the pump. If the motor doesn't run in any direction, then you need a new solenoid. The ground should be right to the battery.

5. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

The motor did not run when i hit the switch. Just the under hood selenoid was clicking. When i jumped 12v to it the motor ran and the plow angled to the left itself. Do you think a selenoid on the plow is bad or should i change the one under the hood?
    Thx for your help...

6. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

If the plow angles with the switches, then I would say the problem is on the pump. If it doesn't angle or do anything, then I would say the solenoid under the hood.

7. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I am going thru it now and here is a newb question...On the selenoid (under the hood)there are 3 wires. The red to the plow motor a small white wire and a black wire. The black wire right now is running from the selenoid to a ground on the frame. Is that right? I replaced my starter a while ago and i am wondering if this wire came off the starter or is suppose to go elsewhere.

8. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Ok guys i messed with it last night and here's what i found (did). A while ago i changed my starter and in doing so i always disconnect the batt cables. Well the hot wire to the selenoid under the hood i mistakenly connected as a ground. So i had no power to begin with! My bad! Anyway everything works as it should. Dare i say LET IT SNOW!!
    Thx everyone for the help.....