1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Wires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

The connectors for the lights to my Meyers Plow fram are shot. I have them temporarily hard wired. I want to fix it so I can connect and disconnect easily. By looking at this design I am sure that it has happened to others. If it has happened to you, what did you do? I am looking for conventional and non-conventional ideas.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A cheap easy fix is a rectangular 6 wire trailer plug.

More expensive fix, is to replace the harness, or the light.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a little different approach, although still along Geoff's idea of a trailer plug: Use the metal 6-pin trailer style plug (same type as the ones used on big rigs, just a bit smaller) and mount that to your truck. Put the male end on the plow light harness and you have a good solid plug setup, the truck (female) end has a door to keep the plug clean when the plow is unhooked.

One of my friends used this idea to mount a light bar up on top of his 1/2-ton. He's got one of those fiberglass "sleepers" and wanted the light bar removable. I built him a simple pin/socket bracket that lets the light bar come off easily, and he put a 6-pin plug in the rear wall of the "sleeper" up high so he doesn't have a bunch of loose cord hanging down when the light bar is mounted.

Obviously, this approach isn't for everyone but it's another idea to consider.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I used a plug to mount my lightbar. Used a 7 blade type like the ones Ford and Dodge mount for trailers. I use the plugs for my trailer and they hold up well to the weather.
  5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I used the 6 pin trailer plug type for my salter lighting. I put strobes and extra lights on my salter and used one for the connection. This way it unplugs whenever I need to take it off. Seems to be a great way to wire anything that needs removed. Another good thing is that none of the trailers I ever tow use that type of plug so it is not a problem for someone to accidently plug into it.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Remember any connection on the exterior but especially ones low or near spreaders should have an good coating of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
  7. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Re-wiring for seperate lights

If you are interested, I will tell you how you can re-wire the factory harness so that you can run both your factory truck lights AND your plow lights at the same time. BRIGHT!
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I can't understand doing that. The glare off the back of the plow is blinding.
  9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

10. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Why Not?

You're missing the point. Plow on ground, better light IF needed. Plow in air, shut off lights IF plow is carried high. Depending on the configuration, some trucks just carry the plow lower than others.

Plow off truck, lights still on truck, REAL bright lights on back roads, etc,etc,etc.:D
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

We got spots on the roofs of all trucks. Don't really use them much though.

Might not be legal to have so many lights on going down the road.

Most plows now the lights remove witht the plow.

Still going to have a glare when plow is up even if it does not lift as high.
  12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I liked the old days when you had control over which lights you wanted to use. I dont think you need all four on, but in heavy snow, they glare off the snow flakes with the plow lights in ungodly. On my western, I have even pulled the plug so as to keep the ttruck lights on when driving in those conditions.
    But I see no need to have all four on at the same time. I have always felt that anyone who did so, was just to lazy to connect the lights correctly.
  13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

In the old days (not to long ago) there was a switch to change what lights you were using. Now the relays work automatically when the plow is hooked up. I will agree that sometimes the lights glare.

The lights are there for a reason and if hooked u and aimed correctly they should perform as well as the OEM lights. If extra light is needed it should only be used off public roads and I find that lights mounted higher up perform better.
  14. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

You should use the new Boss lights!

Better than OEM.

(Even brighter than my Mercedes'.)