1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyers used plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beckman, Jan 20, 2002.

1. beckman

beckman Junior Member

Hello, having a great time reading all the messages. New to plowing and wondering if you can help me. I have a 02 ford f-250 4wd short bed extra cab V-8...with the heavy front springs for plowing. I have a meyers plow that was given to me by a relative, but I cant locate any serial or model numbers. Its been painted 2 or three times. I'm working on getting some pictures, so maybe that will help. This is what I have, the blade is 6' 6" it has the the hyd. on the blade frame for angles. Separate tubular frame w/the lights and lift. The lift has a two prong plug and a separate one for the lights. I don't have any of the wiring or controls and obviously don't have a mount for my truck. Is it worth it and can i purchase the mount and wiring for my truck or would I be better off getting a whole new plow? I don't even know how old it is. Is the blade too small for my truck? I just want to plow my driveway and some relatives for now. Any info would be appreciated..in the meantime I'll try to get some pics Thanks Beckman:)

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It sounds like the blade is way to narrow for your truck,but if you want to rig it up for ypur driveway.When you say a few relatives,i think your pushing it,you might break that plow if its really that small,it wasnt meant to be on a 7000 lb truck.

3. Rocky

Rocky Member

I think they refer to that Meyer 6'6" plow as a 2 meter. It would be woefully inadequate for a full size F-250. It doesn't have the weight to do the job very well either unless you are going forward all the time and I don't think even in a straight bucking position it would clear your wheels. I had one on an S-10 Blazer and it was great for residentials and 6' sidewalks but try backdragging with it and it road up over the snow after the first 2 feet and you had to turn around to push forward to get it down to pavement. BTW, even if you could find a Meyer mount for a full size Ford it wouldn't fit this blade (to narrow). To many wrongs on this one to make it right in my opinion.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, that plow is w-a-y too small for your truck, I think at least 7' 6" or even 8' would be a far better unit for your application.

Unless you're like me and "into heavy metal" (I work full-time in the welding/fabricating field and built my own mounts and A-frame for the plow - for that matter, I built most of the truck the plow is hanging off ;) ) I think you would be better off looking for a complete - used is fine - plow that is better suited to your truck.

Only thing you may have to buy in addition to the plow would be the mounts to match up to your truck, unless the plow you end up getting came off a similar one.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It does sound as though he has the lift frame and power pack. You can buy a lower frame from www.centralparts.com as well as a new electrical harness. The only other thing would be a wider plow. These can be found used from dealers or one could be purchased new.

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

You can do it!

This will work. (for now) IF! you do have the round tubular lift frame with the light brackets. You can buy the lower mount for your truck at www.centralparts.com like the man said. You will have to do some minor faricating on the A-frame though to get it to hook to the truck. The tangs at the back of the A-frame that mount to the truck will be to narrow. You will also need to get a set of plow wings from the same place. This will make the total width of about 8 feet. This set up should do ok for a while to get started but don't over due it. When your ready, all you will need to purchase is the moldboard,sector,A-frame and cylinder assembly. Good luck!

PS. I'll tell you how to wire it when you get the parts. PM me:D

7. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

If you just spent all that money on a new 250, I would think you would want to have a nice plow setup as well.

The 6.5' meyer is for compact trucks, I have one on my old truck a 95' dodge dakota. We run meyer and diamond blades on our company trucks and I know for a fact that the frame is a different size than for those mounting to blades of 7'+.

If you spent a long time fabricating a subframe on the truck end, of course it would receive the plow and the light setup and plow pump. I wouldn't bother though.

The pump is most likely an E-47, you can tell if the plow motor stands on end. The E-60 and E-60H (motor lays on its side) are extremely fast compared to the old e-47.

Finally the shear weight of the truck may cause the light meyer to fold right over. On some of our older superduties (F450's) we purchased meyer 8' blades for them and now many of them have strips of metal welded on to keep the blade from torquing. I know our newer trucks weigh in around 9500 lbs, however the older ones weren't far off.

I also know that my 01' F250 Supercab PSD 4x4 LB weighs in around 6600lbs and there is no way that I would ever put a 6.5' blade on it. I would put a min. of an 8' blade on it and most likely an 8.5' blade.

So if you have the meyer setup now, sell it and use the money to help with the cost of the right setup for your truck. You can also pick a brand that best suites your needs.

8. beckman

beckman Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going with new your right I spent the money on the truck..why not on the right plow. I'm thinking of ordering from central and putting it on myself. Any idea what I should sell it for ..it has some rust all around?

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Beckman,Im not knocking CPW,i've ordered from them,great service,but check your local dealers first,in my area i can buy any plow CPW sells for 3-500 less than CPW,I can get them installed,,with tax for what CPW sell it for without shipping,and no waiting time,and if you need parts,your dealer will help you much faster,since you spent your 3500 with him,not mail order,this makes a big difference.Just check it out locally before you take the plunge.