1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer's Undercarriage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lux Lawn, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

While out plowing the other day I pulled into a driveway to back drag in front of a garage and the plow fell to the ground as I pulled up to the garage.I hit the up button and it goes up about an inch so I hit it again and nothing happens...so I get out and look at it the lights are pointing down at the ground.Next I crawl under the truck and notice the the undercarriage snapped on both side.Now I'm not that familiar with them but I believe the dealer said it cracked where the STRAPS are.Is this common?The plow is on a 2002 Ford 250 Super Duty.

2. 1olddog2

1olddog2 Member

r u saying it snap/ broke off the truck???

3. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

yes this is common i have fix 3 of these undercarriages for my buddy who has 4 f-250 super duty they where all the same thing broken at the strap that goes up to the bumper. i welded the 3 back to gather and reinforce with with a 3/8 plate of steel the 4th one we took off this past summer and reinforce it to prevent any problems. his trucks range from 99 to 02 super duty

4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Same thing happened to me. 9 hours in to the storm I hit a manhole cover at 7 mph, plow tripped and so did the frame.
    Very upsetting to lose the amount of money I did by not plowing.
    I will be welding up a new mount on wednesday. Its a shame they can not make these things to last.:mad:

5. Lux Lawn

Yes that is correct.I never seen or heard of anything like it before.

6. Lux Lawn

Good luck with it Mike.I know a new Undercarriage for my truck was $521 plus labor to remove the old one and install the new one.Like you said its a shame they can't make these things last.My truck is only plowed 3.5 winters and it broke already...come on thats just not right.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Thanks Larry,
    The old frame needs to be straightened and I will replace what I dont like with new fabricated parts.
    Probable weigh 500 pounds by the time I am done.:)

The mount was 4 years old and it should not have bent the way it did.
    I plow roads for the town and go slow for fear of hitting a manhole cover.
    I will probably go with a western when I get the new truck, Live and learn..