1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Truck-Lite issues

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eskimoplower, Dec 11, 2010.

1. eskimoplower

eskimoplower Junior Member

Hello!!

Truck: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
    Age of the plow set up: unknown

I have a Meyers 7.5 plow and an E47 plump with and older Truck-Lite light set up and it has developed a strange problem.

After running the Truck-Lites for less than 10 minutes it shuts off both the truck headlights and the Truck-Lites and flickers until I shut down the plow lights. The previous owner said that the High-Beams on the truck have to be on for the plow lights to work and the (I'm guessing) 6 wire switch set up has to be in the Plow position for the Truck-Lites to work. I have little knowledge about this plow set up. Need to get this solved soon!! :mechanic:

Is there a relay or solenoid that controls the current between the Ram truck lights and the Truck-Lites? And do the high beams have to be on to make the Truck-Lites work? It's seems to me that there's a lot of current draw if the high beams on the truck and the Truck-Lites are both on and that might be the reason for the intermittent operation, like a circuit breaker or solenoid is failing. Thanks to all that can help!! Thumbs Up

Greg

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

That aint right. something is wired wrong. When your stock lights are on the plow lights should be off and vise versa. It sounds like someone just tapped into the wires for the trucks highbeams to get power for the plow lights. Yes most vahicles have relays for the lighting. usually in the power distribution block under the hood.
    First do you have a switch on the dash to switch from the truck lights to the plow lights, and do both the high and low beams work on both. Second if H and L beams do work on the plow lights do you switch them with the regular dimmer switch in the truck ?

3. eskimoplower

Yes there's is a switch, a toggle, that controls the plow lights, and only the high beams work, switching the truck to low beams turns OFF the plow lights.

So, you may be correct, someone tapped into the factory DODGE headlight system to get power to the lights when the switch is in the "plow" position and HIGH BEAMS on, there's an overload condition.

But on a side note, the headlights on the plow frame turned off, NOT the parking/marker/turn lights. Weird huh?!?!

Thanks to all!!

4. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

No not weird at all, your turn signals are on their own cicuit as are the marker lights. Now does your factory head lights have one bulb for high and one for low as in a 4 light system or on bulb with two elements as in a two light system ?

5. JasonRG

JasonRG Junior Member
    from Ohio

I recently hooked up the same lights to my '96 GMC Sierra. I had emailed Meyer and they provided the attached PDF which explains the proper wiring for these lights (for most trucks) with the six wire harness/switch. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

6. eskimoplower

Thanks for the PDF

It helped me a little, thanks for linking it.

I'm still having the same issue after cleaning all grounds on both the frame side and the truck side. I hooked a multimeter to the plug inside the Truck Lite for the head lamp and was getting less than 8.5 volts to the bulb. I then cleaned any grounds and contacts i could find and now getting 10 volts to the head lamp plug. Things are getting better. I also replaced the 6 wire switch and that didn't help. So, I'm thinking it's the lo/hi headlight switch in the steering column that's bad. Having BOTH the truck and the plow lights is creating an over current condition and did some damage to the BRT/DIM switch. I'll be pulling the cowling off of the steering column and checking the wires in there. I read on another non-plow dodge truck forum that some one else had the same issue and was fixed by replacing the multifunction switch in the column. My last resort will be to wire the plow lights separate from the Dodge lights with proper relays and fuses/circuits breakers. Thanks again for any and all help with issue. I'll keep every one updated.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

your problems sound like someone has wired the truck so it is drawing power for the plow lights directly from the high beam side of the dimmer switch, and it is overloading the headlight circuit.
    you will need to either
    1: rewire the plow lights properly, or
    2: add a relay in the circuit with plow light power coming directly from the battery, and using the current wire to trip the relay,

8. eskimoplower

Did some more digging and found some cut-thru wires where the previous owner tapped into the Dodge wiring at the headlight and repaired them. BUT STILL cannot find where he tapped into the highbeam wire for the plow lights. I then tried JUST the dodge lights and found that the BRT/DIM is faulty without the plow lights by cycling the BRT/DIM switch in the steering column. So, next step is swapping out the multifunction switch in the steering column.

Anyone else have a multifunction switch go south on them?

This is beginning of major problem. THanks again for all that can help!! :)

Greg

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

It is very posible that the dimmer switch is bad due to the way they wired it. After you replace it, trace the wires from the plow lights back to your dimmer switch, then from the dimmer to your truck lights. point is FIND where they tapped into for the power and change it, or your gonna end up with the same thing again.

10. tjctransport

not if you use the tap wire to energize a relay for the plow lights. the relay will draw less than 1 amp. that is why i sugested to do that.

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I wouldn't wire it like that because then you still have to have your high beam headlights on to trigger the relay, and unless your only plowing in daylight, having the headlights reflect off the back of the plow aint gonna work.

12. tjctransport

i guess that may happen.
    i really don't know how that works out, because very rarely do i plow with the headlights on.
    99.9% of my plowing is done with parking light only.

13. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yeh I tried it once cause I didn't get the lights mounted in time. IT SUCKED.

14. eskimoplower

Argh!!

Pulled the headlight switch from the dash and found that there was a melted terminal on the terminal block on the switch. I called a Dodge dealer and asked if there were any recalls on the switch for that year of truck and they said no. Anyone else have a bad switch?

Thanks again for any tips!!
    Greg

15. tjctransport

the switch burned up because it had too much power drawn through it with the plow lights. that is why you should always run the plow lights off a relay.

16. eskimoplower

Many thanks to all!!

Will be adding a relay or rewiring the switch to stock condition, truck lights off when plow lights are in use so no overload melting, etc

Problem is, still can't find where HI beam wire was tapped into. Thinking that the previous owner just cut the wire harness behind headlight switch (there were recent butt splice connectors already in the dash behind the switch) and pulled through the firewall, past and underneath the power dist center, and then to front head light area, and just pulled it back through with a string, leaving the splice where I can't find it. With a storm this sunday, I just wanted to get it fixed so we're ready for the storm. Will then fix it when I can.
    Thanks again!
    Greg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010