1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Standard Poly Heavy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckeye Chuck, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Still trying to narrow these down.
    The Meyers Standard Poly Plow weighs 708#. Is that to much for my half ton? I do have plow prep. and tow package. My truck is a reg. cab and short bed. Dealer said he would crank the springs up a few notches. I found a Western Standard that is about 665# but he isn't very close to me, among other things.
    Thanks

2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I just bought a Boss 7'6" super duty straight blade, it weights around #709, I have a 1/2 ton chevy ext. cab, I haven't used it yet however, my truck sags about 2", I have ordered timbrens for it to help with the sag. My truck seems to handle it well, I am just looking forward to seeing how it works in the snow. I am going to use about 400-500 lbs of ballast. Just my input, I don't have a lot of experience. I wouldn't think 40lbs different would make that much of a difference. Good Luck. Breck :bluebounc

3. Buckeye Chuck

When you add the weights for ballast, yourself, etc, your over a half ton, is that normal or okay?? I'm thinking I need to keep things under half ton.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Recommend a plow in the 550 lb. range for 1/2 tons.

700 plus is too heavy esp. for a short bed.

5. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Buckeye Chuck,
    I have the same truck you do. I have a Meyer MDII 7 1/2' poly plow which does weigh 700lbs. I cranked up the torsion bars, added timbren to the front and some ballast in the rear and my truck handles it just fine. My front end sags only 1/4" with the timbrens added. I know a local landscaper who has 1/2 ton Chevys and he has Western Poly Pro plows which weigh more than the Meyer Poly plow and he never has any problems. If you do decide to get the Meyer or whatever plow it is, invest in some timbrens for the front end, they're well worth the few bucks!! Good luck!! :drinkup:

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You must remeMber that the listed weight is for the complete installation and the truck frame brackets, headgear and hydralic system can easily weigh 200 lb or more so your blade wieghs in likely around 500 or less with that Meyer Poly unit.

7. Buckeye Chuck

Yes, I'm not saying the blade weighs 700#, that is a total complete weight.
    Bolts, still to much??

8. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I guess I'm not sure, Bolts knows a lot about plows after all he sells them, so I would take what he says into consideration. I matched my plow up on the website with Boss, and my plow shows it being for a 1/2 ton as well as 3/4 tons. There is a lot of people on this website that use 1/2 tons to plow with, Badluck just put a Fisher on his new 1/2 ton. I can't tell you if it's too much or not, all I can say is my truck handles it just fine. I maybe can see where a short box standard cab may have a problem with it because of the wheel base. My truck can tow up to 5000lbs or should I say they don't recommend more than that, so I wouldn't be to concerned about being over a half a ton. If you crank up your torsion bars and install a set of timbrens and add the necessary ballast I think you would be o.k. bsa ohio has free shipping on timbrens. Also remember you should have a front end alignment after messing with your torsion bars. Hopefully between everybody on this site you can come to a decision on a plow. Good luck. Breck :waving:

www.truckspring.com
    www.bsaohio.com

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If your total combined weight includung truck mount is no more than 700 lbs. you should be alright with torsion bars turned up 5 turns.

10. Buckeye Chuck

Thanks guys,
    The steel is lighter, about 656# total. It's not much but maybe I'll go that way. I personaly like the idea of staying away from 700. I hate things getting rusty and thought poly. I have heard some cons on them.

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Considering that the truck has plow prep and the tow package, i would not worry about it at all. The timbrens are a good idea, especially with the chevy. Just put some weight in the bed and your all set. I have a 750 LB plow on an F-150 ext cab short bed with no problems to speak of. My personal opinion, go with the western not only because its lighter (you seem to be concerned with the weight of the meyer) but western makes a better plow by far.

12. Buckeye Chuck

I do like the Western a little better but the dealer is quite a ways from me and he was such a jerk, I really don't want to see him again. It sucks but he acted like he didn't care if he got my business and guess what, I don't think he is.

13. Tarkus

I would say not for your truck myself. It is not the total weight of a plow package that gets you, It is the amount hanging out there at the end of the A frame that can get you. Even if your package weighed 800lbs as long as plow was 500lb or less you are okay. Get a plow itself that weights well over 500 pounds hanging 3 feet out front and it gets heavy quickly.

14. Buckeye Chuck

You might have missed that I said the total weight was around 700. I figure the blade is around 500.

15. Tarkus

No, I did not miss it. I was just trying to make the point that it is not so much the amount of weight as it is how much of it is hung on A frame in front of truck. The reason I say this is that a 700 lb blizzard plow with everything on A frame, will feel heavier on truck tha a 700lb plow that has the hydraulic system mounted on truck so plow A frame weighs less.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  16. Buckeye Chuck

Got it, I think I'll be okay. I'll double check with dealer.
    Thanks