1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers ST-75 front pivot joint repair

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by redbug2, Dec 18, 2010.

1. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Hello,

Rebuilding my old ST-75 Plow. The front joint seems to be worn out. I don't know for sure but I feel the rount part of the A-frame should be up under the metal, where the chain is hooked, that should hold it in place. It is extended out and floating. I took the front pivot bolt out and the openings are ovaled out.

Should I just build this hole up with welding rod or should I attempt to bore it out and put in a bushing? What is the accepted method for reparing this joint?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

seems like there isn't a 'right' way to repair it, but if I was doing it I would weld in a bushing that you could screw a grease zerk into, that way it can be greased and hopefully not wear out again.. just a thought

3. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Well,

I decided to just fill it with welding rod. I don't do any commercial plowing just a 300ft driveway so I think it will hold. Yes, I believe a zerk is needed. After welding all of the ovals it fits right into the groove as it should. Though, I would have liked it to go a little deeper.

I'll pull it apart this summer and see how the welds held. Maybe then I will add a bushing.

Also ran a few beads on the worn out areas to buid it up.

Quick fix, but it should work. Will paint it up later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

that looks like a good repair to me; will probably last another 5 years since you don't plow that much. just thought that if you could grease it you wouldn't ever need to fix it again. happy plowing!

5. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks,

I did grease it before I assembled it. I may machine a grease zerk in some day.

It worked well today, it was the first time I ever used it.

Could not find the yellow marker sticks I had just purchased. Looked all over last night, I bought them just could not find them.... Made plowing difficult but I can tell you with some authority now that a 4 wheel drive F250 with a plow is much better than my old farm tractor with rear blade and chains. Nice to plow in a heated cab. Also nice to be able to angle the plow. Every time I had to angle my rear plow on the tractor I had to hop off, pull the pin, and turn the blade by hand.

I removed the skid feet? from the plow because somebody told me they were just for gravel. Is that right? Plow did not do well on my dirt firewood access road. I guess the plows are only good on aslphalt?

The plow is not perfect on the front edge. It's worn on the last foot or so on each end. Shorld I be concerned?

Is the Meyers paint important or will any yellow paint do?

Had a visitor come over, when he left he went zooming down my driveway and skidded off into my small ditch, about one foot deep... Had to tow him out with the truck. When he got out and looked at the damage under the car he pulled out the yellow sticks still in their bag go figure... How did they get there?

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I use the skids for the first plowing depending on wether or not the ground is frozen yet or not. Then I take them off for the rest of the winter unless we get a big warm up.
    One thing to check on how well your plow performs is the A-frame, it should be as close to paralell to the ground as possible with the plow on the ground. Too high and it will want to skip and trip all the time, too low and it will want to curl the ground up.I plow mostly gravel drives and have no problems, another thing to consider is speed, do try to go to fast on uneven surfaces.