1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers sander How Long Can i Keep Sand In My Sander???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ramdieselsmoke, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

hello, im buying a meyers sander tomorrow i was wondering how long you should keep sand in the hopper 30%salt 70%sand i heard of people having trouble with them freezing up. im on the eastern CT shore we dont get really below 20degrees and mostly get rain and sleet but when we do get snow i want to be ready to plow and bill out before it melts lol....so i was thinking i can run a load of sand for over a week?? or more between storms. let me know please thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Empty after every storm. JMO

3. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

what if we dont get snow or ice just rain i keep the hopper covered and backed inside my popup. i dont know i see guys from around the area rolling with full loads on nice days with there plow off before storms.

4. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

As long as you cover it it should be fine. It would be the same consistency as if it were in a covered bulk pile as long as it doesn't get wet.

5. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

thats what i figured but then again i dont want it to be my 1st storm with the sander and have it froze up. but it doesnt get that cold around here maybe get some real cold days 15-20 but mostly above freezing durring days.

6. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

If your chain ever freezes up and your in a jam(assuming this is a vbox) You can usually use a pipe wrench to turn it over manually and that should free it up, then just use a metal shovel or something to break up the sand.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't buy or load your mix until the ice event.Why would you want to be a glutton for punishment????It is no fun trying to unload frozen sand/salt plus you're saving your truck's suspension.

8. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

true but i only load 1 yard in which is a bucket full of the mix and its a 1.8yard sander the truck is a nasty dodge dually diesel its not at any prob. with the load. i only have two sanding accounts at this time and even 1 yard is more then enough the people get more then there moneys worth of mix i lay it down thick. just do a parking lot and large walkway and a appartment house parking lot which is 6 parking spots then rest i dump all on my shops parking lot its pretty big so i lay it thick to run the machine out but again im getting this new meyers tomorrow hopfully as long as its what the guys says it is, but again its craigslist so who the heck knows.last year i had a curtis 550 fast cast and it was awsome i sold it for 1000 more then i paid for it and used it 3 times then last 4storms i sanded by hand and thats no fun waste of time really now if i get the new sander i will have time for more accounts i have 12 now and it was taking 8hours of straight work to get them done with sanding by hand with the fast cast i had to reload once per storm so it was like 6hours so i figure with the new sander im down to 4-5hours max i need more contracts.... and hope for snow because around here who knows we always turn to rain thats why im buying a used sander i cant see spending 5k on a new one when the plow was that much.

9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i load mine the day of the storm and keep it covered really good. i try to empty it after every storm but as long as its dry sand and plenty of salt you shoud be ok for a few days.

10. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

i just wondering here a couple days isnt enough i was hoping to have it in there for a week, its weird though i live on the main rout and there is a place that sells the mix up the road, no joke i see guys with there trucks full cruzin down the road and the snow storm isnt even in the forcast. but again i rather have your guys opinions because i dont want to get the snow storm and be shoveling the sand out by hand because its all froze up. thanks everyone..

11. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

if you can park your truck in a heated garage at night or at least for 6+ hrs before the storm then your fine. we keep our F550 and F650 inside fully loaded at all times. the shop is also heated to 65 degrees though. just dont let your load get wet is the best advice that anyone can tell you. IMO

12. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

thanks i do have a heated garage so i will do that. thanks again

13. DCL

DCL Member

I still have about 2 yards of sand/salt mix in our sander from the last event. About 2-3 weeks ago! Its been over 30 degrees with the exception of a few nights getting in the lower 20s. I keep it covered really really tight so it doesnt get wet. I started it up the other day and worked fine...its probably 25-30% salt.

hopefully it does the same the next event! lol

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a nice hot mix so freezing shoudn't be much of an issue if you keep it dry. Tarping to keep the rain and snow out is a good idea, but remember to keep the spinner area protected too. That's where it will freeze first. The bigger problem is going to be if you are driving around with it full. All the vibration, shaking, etc will pack it in. If it's sharp bony stuff, off a crusher, it's even worse. Your best bet is to load up the day before the storm.