1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers pump on a pathfinder plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jmack, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jmack

jmack Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Hi,

I got an older Pathfinder plow setup for a few hundred, with an under-hood belt driven pump. I want to fit it to a 95 Suburban 2500, but the belt pump won't work on that older a model, or so I am told. Pathfinder claims a new electric pump will be $1500. Does anybody know whether another electric pump brand could be fitted to the plow, like a meyers, or fisher electric setup? I have seen those much cheaper, used. I know new electric controls would be needed, and maybe new hoses? Anybody ever try this?

Or could a dedicated 12v motor be fitted to the older belt driven model, providing the necessary torque and rotational speed, and just mount that on the plow.

Thank you for any help in advance.

And yes, I know I am one cheap b@st@rd.

Best Regards,

jmack

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

First off your belt setup. Why won't it fit? Most belt driven pumps are made for those older ones. But if your determined to have a electric over hydraulic pump, yes you can use whatever pump you want, of course you will need any harnesses and controls for that pump. I have a western pump on a meyer plow. The plow doesn't care what lifts its. So yes you could go on ebay or whereever and find a pump with controls and harness and use that without problem but you may have to modify(cut, weld) new brackets for the pump to mount since the hydraulic cylinder is problem longer then the lenght of the pump. I'm assuming the pathfinder plow uses a chain lift type setup.

3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

belt driven pump

I use belt driven pumps exclusively. Try either Monarch Road Machinery in Grand Rapids Michigan for mounting kits, or Marsh Pulleys, Marsh has a web site and they can offer a custom set up for you to mount the pump where ever you want, up top, down low, on the side, where ever!

4. jmack

jmack Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Hi Mowerpan. Thank you for the reply. I called up Pathfinder, and asked for a tech guy. According to him the post 94 Chevy's get screwed up if you run a pump off the belt. Something about the computer brain controlling the motor getting confused about the extra load. He sounded kind of funky when he said it.

I don't know if I believe anything he said, actually. I asked if they had any type of directions on mounting their plows, or any user manuals, and he said no, which seemed odd. He then said an electric pump would be $1500, which seemed high, and when I asked the flow and pressure specs of the pump, he said he had no idea, which also seemed wierd.

I've since seen pumps advertised for plows on E-bay, and it seems as if any pump which can do around 1-3 GPM at 1000-2500 PSI should work. My feeling is the old pump was just running off the belt, continuosly pumping, so if I can connect a continuous duty 12V pump doing 1.4 gpm @ 1500 PSI to the manifold and controls that were already on the plow I should be set, as the manifold and controls were just to direct flow to the cylinders, which are all independently attached, and good. The thing is that type of pump would only be about $200-250, maybe even less, if I can find a deal, and all I'd have to do is strap it to the frame, attach it to the maifold and run wires to power it.

Of course I could be heading blissfully into a total disaster, so I'll do a little more reading, and fudging with the system to be sure it will work.

Thanks loads for the help. I'm pretty good with koi ponds, and science stuff, if you ever need help with something useless.

5. jmack

jmack Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Hi Tommy10plows. Thank you for the reply. I was told by the tech guy at Pathfinder that Suburban's from 94 and above will be screwed up by a belt driven pump. Something about the car's computer brain getting confused about the extra load. I'll check out those sources. Right now I'm looking at a Haldex pump from Northerntool.com. About $250. I see it used on a commercial plow pump replacement package which includes controls, vavles, etc for 580.

Thanks again for the help.

Best

jmack