1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Prewetting Crossfire Spreader

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Fourbycb, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

fourbycb... its a brand new design, and supposed to be a great spreader. My dealer had his Meyer rep bring it by his shop to show it off.... he said its a great setup... designed super stout, and the warranty is a no brainer.
  3. XtremeSnowPros

XtremeSnowPros Member

We have bought 2 and will get them next week. Great design!
  4. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

What did you pay for them
  5. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

I have to admit that I had pretty much given up on Meyers products over the years but that is a really innovative salter! I love how the sides come over to reduce spillage in the bed. Also LOVE the prewetting system and how the tank is integrated. The controller looks amazing. My concerns are (and this has been with many of the electric/plastic models) is how they will hold up for heavy commercial work.

I too am wondering what the cost is on this unit.....
  6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Hold up in which way?
  7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Wow that's impressive Meyer has really stepped up to the plate lately
  8. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

The first thing I noticed are the wing nuts on the chute baffle...I don't have a lot of faith in that.

I have only owned steel / gas 2-8 yard v-box spreaders so the whole concept of the plastic / electric spreaders has me nervous in general. I have also heard mixed reviews on how far the electric spreaders throw salt.

I love the concept / idea. I would love to see one in action.
  9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Yea guess I'd change those out, I can see those coming off from vibration. add some Nylock nuts. The electrics do not throw the salt far. If they are the plastic like the snowex salter yea I wouldn't want to be tipping that up on its front and keeping it in the sun. My saltdoggs have held up well. Sold one to a friend its prob 4 or 5 years old now.
  10. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

Dealer just told me retail is $7900.00
  11. treetech

treetech Junior Member

I bought the new crossfire to replace my 7 year old snowex... I wish I still had it. I have put 30 tons of rock salt through the brand new cross fire and have had nothing but problems. It seems to me that Meyers rushed this new idea, new design and new controller out the door with out proper testing. The design and idea behind the whole system looks and sounds great but its just little head aches that keep popping up like: non vented tank, can fill the liquid tank full or it will blow apart, cheap wiring connections, the material (salt or sand) falls onto the spinner and burns the fuse when you turn on the system. The fuse that blows is located in the back of the spreader and you have to take out 9 blots to replace it. the liquid pump cant keep up, our pre treat uses between 25-35 L per ton but on high the pump will only put out enough to treat at 20 L per ton. I could go on... I wrote on here because I am wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I have asked my dealership to take back the whole unit but they say that Meyers doesn't see this stuff as major issues and there is nothing they can do. The salter is a month old and with install cost me 8900$....
  12. joelbouch

joelbouch Senior Member

we have one of those units and I have had nothing but issues too the liqud system came in busted and had to fix. the spinner throws all product to the passanger side and doesn't put down a lot of salt. and now the spinner stoped and then the auger pulled so much matriel into tha back area the fill the entire box. this unit is not desgined to handle heavy use. im glad to hear im not the only one whose having issues.
  13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well it sounds like Meyer deserves an "A"...

...for consistency.wesport
  14. joelbouch

joelbouch Senior Member

lol espically when you call into them there techs know nothing of this product
  15. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Good thing I started this post and Very Glad I decided to Not Purchase one
  16. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

yea you guys who signed up early are the de-facto field testers. I'm sure next years model will have all the kinks ironed out. sometimes its better to wait these new innovative products out for a bit. I would be pissed if I slapped down 8k on a beta level product....shouldn't be that way, often times is.
  17. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I would have been pissed too, but then again I would not have paid $8000.00 for this spreader either. We have 2 Salt Dogg Poly/Electric SPH2000's (and buying a third) and have had FANTASTIC performance out of them, made tons of money with them and only paid $3000.00 each brand new !!! Meyers shot themselves in the foot years ago when they would not stand behind their products and did not keep up with technology and new designs until after everyone else had already done so.
  18. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

That is horrible!

I will stick to my gas and hydraulic v-box spreaders. Love the spread of these and the consistency. We will be adding a simple pump and tank system to treat the salt at the spinner in the future...
  19. Judo

Judo Junior Member

Anybody else have feedback on the Crossfire?
  20. treetech

treetech Junior Member

Sorry Its been so long since I've had a chance to update here... winter just seems to keep on coming here! I must actually say Meyers is starting to impress me, even though the cross fire is a POS and since I have wrote on here have had even more problems with it like the spinner motor burring out. Back to the impressing me thing. It was about 24 hours after I wrote on here with all my problems that I received an email from Meyers apologizing for all the problems... 24 hours after that they invited me to give all the feed back that I had and any changes to be made and once fixed they would send me out a custom built unit. I guess they have realy been working on that "standing behind there product thing"! Ill keep you posted and we will see if problems go away. As of right now my cross fire is dead in the water with no spinner