1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DOM, Oct 4, 2001.

1. DOM

DOM Guest

This is a really dumb question.
    I just bought a truck with a meyers plow on it.
    Somebody put in one of those locking pins on the pump.
    You know so nobody can steal the pump.
    The key goes in the thing but does not turn.
    Is there a trick to these things?
    I sprayed some WD-40 in it, and still nothing.
    Anybody got any clues?
    Thanks
    Dom

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well if it's any thing like a trailer locking pin you have to turn the key as you try to pull off if the key turns in the cylender then it shuld come off,I always have trouble with my trailer hitch pin but it does come off .

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Take it to a shop and have it torched or cut off. Those things sounds great but after a season they usually rust solid.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed - sounds like a job for the "blue wrench" (torch) to me.

One winter of being out in the salt/moisture etc has likely got the lock seized right up. You can first attempt heating it up, then giving the key a try, but I have a feeling you will end up using the cutting feature of the torch!

5. ddm

ddm Member

I vote torch and move on!

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

As one of My Mechanics says when an employee ask for a wrench. Yea I got a red and green one that will fit anything ya need.

Geoff

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If you do end up cutting the pin off and would still like to have an "anti-theft" pin, one way to do it is with weld.

If you use a bolt & nut to mount the pump, tack-weld the nut to the bolt. If you fab up a pin, weld a "keeper" to it.

Sure you'll have to use the torch or grinder to take it off again, but you're doing that to the locking pin anyway and this will require fewer $$$.

8. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I'm not sure how the Meyer pump is held to the frame work but if it is like the Western then there is an aluminum lug on the bottom that this pin passes through. If this is the case then you want to bee careful not to tranfer too much heat from the torch and damage this mounting point.
    Maybe I'm out in left field but it would seem to be a concern.
    Could someone tell me if this could be a problem?

Bruce