1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Plow Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cdianora, Jan 25, 2005.

1. cdianora

cdianora Junior Member

I am having a problem with my meyer's pump. It seems to freeze and then not work after a long drive. I was told that you can use the blue fluid instead. I am wondering where to find this blue fluid and if it will really work as effectively.

Also, I have been burning my selinoid out rather quichly and cannot find the cause. Any thoughts?

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

The blue fluid is pretty good - less viscosity. However, I've been using ATF fluid as well for years and unless the temp drops into the single digits you can't tell the difference. For the money $6/blue or $2/ATF, I'll stick with the ATF.
    As per your freeze problem, sounds like you've got some water in the system somewhere. You need to drain and flush the whole system and then re-fill (including angle cylinders). But, you should also try to find where water is finding it's way intot the system (usually a leaky/pitted cylinder). Good luck.

3. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

the answer is

the answer is NAPPA auto parts. the name is S.A.M and replaces meyer part number 15134.

4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

duplicate post ignore

ignore, this is just a duplicat error

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Get that system flushed and some new Meyer "approved" fluid in it... 2.49 a quart....

6. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

You also could have moisture in your electric motor. It will cause the same symptom.

7. John from OH

John from OH Member

We occasionally have the same problem, usually when the temps are around zero. Swinging the plow back and forth occasionally while in route will help. As the others have stated, you probably have water in the system, flush and refill with Meyers fluid or ATF. I would avoid SAM fluid. We flushed and refilled all of our pumps with that once. First night out, temps in the mid 20's and all of our pumps froze. Switched to back to the Meyers fluid and had no problems the rest of that winter. We tried SAMs because it was cheaper, cost more in the long run though.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I can never fig you guys out. Youd rather save a couple of bucks and spend it later on a more expensive repair. Not to say anything about lost time while the white stuff is falling. To me Id rather spend an extra 4 bucks a season then to take a chance on a break down. To each his own, but to me oil is cheaper then metal...Rob

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use meyers fluid thats it

10. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I use salad oil in all my meyers...NOT, then why would you be so cheap to put atf, or any other shiet in your motor. The motor is the heart of the plow.
    So if you were at a hospital & needed a blood transfusion would you;

A} use the red cranberry juice on lunch tray

B} bring in your own that you aquired from a pig farmer

C} use the blood from RED CROSS

**If you answered A or B, you are as stupid as you look, and you may not move on to the next round.

11. cowboyway37

cowboyway37 Junior Member

frozen

A drop or 2 and I mean drop of dry gas ....problem solved

12. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

All of the blue fluids are the same, i.e. Meyers, SAM, etc. The only difference is how much food coloring they add.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'm running the Blizzard fluid in mine, it's way cheaper than the 7.95/quart the local Meyer dealer wants.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use AW 32 hyd fluid in all of my plows and atf in a pinch...
    I have never had any freezing problems and I live a short distance from the nations ice box in N.E. MN!!!
    I have never had any pump failures yet, motors yes, pumps no.....
    my $.o2