1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Plow light install

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan725, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

Hello all any help would be appreciated I have a 03 Ford F250 and installed the 5 pin wiring harness for my plow lights {Meyers} every thing I beleive is installed correctly but headlights stay on when plow lights are turned on thanks for your help:(
  2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

what am I missing is this too obvious?

do your head lights turn off when you turn the head light switch to the off position? Most plow lights are controlled separately from the head lights. you splice into the marker and turn signals but the head lights / plow lights are separate. you should have a switch for the plow lights and turn your main light switch to power the marker lights only.

welcome to plowsite and hope this helps.
  3. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

It sound like you didn't cut the vehicle harness in between your splices on each low and high beam wire back to the plow light switch.
  4. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

So I need to get a 3 postion switch for my low and high beam on the plow lights and just wire the marker lights to my trucks?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean: cut the vehicle harness in between your splices on each low and high beam wire back to the plow light switch.

5. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Hi Dan, I wired my plow lights separately from the truck light switch but there may be a "factory installed" way to do it that I am not aware of. Quite honestly I did not hook up the hi beams. My setup works but there is obviously a better way to do it. I could not think of a way to run the plow lights separately from the truck lights without a separate switch or a relay switch and I didn't want to go there.
  6. ciapek

ciapek Member

Do You have meyer lights switch??Is the light harness meyers??If so, make sure wiring is correct on the switch(colors).
  7. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

Yes I have the meyers harness switch and lights and followed the install instructions but couldn't clearly see it so I think I must have missed something or is that the way they intend it to work

8. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Dan, I've been doing some research and it appears that a relay swaps the circuit from the factory head lights to the snow plow lights. Was a relay in your kit? Can anyone else shed some light on this? Like I said earlier, I wired my own lights but I ran a totally separate circuit for the plow lights. The plow lights are taller than the plow to keep light from reflecting off the plow and blinding you. You don't want the truck lights and plow lights to burn at the same time. If you happen to have a body lift on your truck you may not need the plow lights since the truck lights are higher than stock.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Okay, lets start over. Is this the meyer harness with the 3 plug relay packs the go behind each headlight? Are you sure you grounded the ground wire and not supplied it with power. If you dont get anywhere by tomorrow evening , check back, will get the meyer book out tomorow at work.
  10. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Dan, have you got it figured yet? did the kit come with a light adapter?. Is this a relatively new plow? Lets start here.
  11. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

It seems as though he installed a old set of meyers lights and not the night sabers which belong on a new style truck. With the new style there are 2 relays to install and there is no cutting of wires, just unplug your headlight socket and plug into the harness and the other plug on the harness hooks up to the headlight of the truck. The only thing you need to do is use the squeeze connector into each side turn signal and you set, it sould take about 20 mins to install the whole thing, and yes the new style lights use a regular 3 prong toggle switch and not the old style with the 6 wires. I believe if you go over to chucks site you'll find info there, maybe even a wiring diagram.
  12. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

It is an old style plow off a 1990 F250 the plow lights have with the old lights 5 pin. The switch is a 6 pin toggle swith with thewire color being brown,white, green, pink, blue, red. I only got the harness no relays or anything else with it

Thanks again
  13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran