1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers plow, I have to hit it with hammer to get it started

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by circlelawn, Dec 9, 2010.

1. circlelawn

circlelawn Junior Member
    from ohio

Every time after the plow sits for a hour or so I have to shake or tap the motor/selionods with a hammer. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes sometimes 10. But once it goes up I dont have any problems with it until it sits again. Its just an annoying problem i would like to solve. Are the valves just freezing up?
    Thanks
    8.5 blade with e60

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Corrosion in the motor. Super common to the E60's and one reason they were discontinued. You can pull the end bell off and check/clean the brushes but if you want it to be reliable just replace the motor.

3. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

Need more info is the motor running ? Or are you tapping to get the motor to run ?

4. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

if you have to tap the motor to get it running then the motor may be getting ready to seize, also check the grounds if you have to move the whole pump to get the motor to go most likely its a bad ground

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hope he has it fixed by now or he missed half the plowing season. :D

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if it takes between 2 and 10 minutes to bring it to life he should only have missed 1/4 of the season.:drinkup:

7. eriklane

eriklane Member

Pump problems

Not sure if this helps, but with a spare motor I had, it did. Take the motor apart. Put the rotor in a vise carefully and with a hevy wire brush, go 90 degrees against that rotor. You will see small grooves on the entire unit. Mine had light rust and grime in there. I brushed it all out, briskly. Clean it all good. Make sure brushes are good. Make sure your pump base is clean/bright-sand it, and your motor bottom also. Good electrical contact is important.

The spare that was in my truck when I got it made all kinds of noise and didn't turn good. Now it spins like mad.