1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Plow blowing C-valves

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by maintenanceguy, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy Junior Member

I've got a guy who has come back with 2 broken hydraulic cylinders and 3 damaged C-valves so far this year. Two of the C-valves were bulged enough that we could barely get the solenoid to slide off the valve.

This guy is 68 years old, has been plowing for us for 10 years, has rarely ever broken anything, takes care of his tools and equipment better than most in my shop, and I just know he's not abusing this stuff.

I even went out yesterday to plow the same site with him for a while just to see if he was being abusive and as I suspected, he wasn't. He's even less aggressive than I am and I'm pretty gentle on equipment.

So what's causing this?

Two burst cylinders and two bulged valves tells me excessive hydraulic pressure. We replaced the cross over valve thinking that fluid wasn't able to release from one cylinder to the other in a hit but he came back after that repair with another burst cylinder.

I'm out of ideas.

2. maintenanceguy

Update:

Just started working on this plow and found that not only is one cylinder split open, the other one is bulged.

3. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

first off what pump is it ? number is what i mean. What pressure is the pump set at , sounds as if it is set too high . the other question would be how old is the equiptment .

4. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

ask around to see if anyone fixed the leaky acorn nut on the side of the pump, and if they did they raised the pump relief to a higher pressure then the cylinders could handle.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That is the crossover relief. When you installed the new one did you put a gage to it and adjust it or just guess?

6. maintenanceguy

We just guessed in adjusting the crossover relief. But we had it adjusted out completely, the minimum setting.

We ended up doing a complete tear down and rebuild of the power unit and it's back on the road plowing today. 5 hours so far and no damage. Maybe we got it.