1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers moldboard pivot pins wear

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snyder1924, Jan 10, 2011.

1. snyder1924

snyder1924 Junior Member

I own a Meyers Max and am wandering if somebody out there has had to deal with these pins and the sleves they pivot in? My sleves seem to have been stressed to the point they are cracking and pins are bent some. It will still plow but this situation will definatley need to be addressed. Thanks for any input.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

hate to say it but its a meyers plow :realmad:

thay all tear up the stupid piviot pin area.

need to fix them up like new and then add grease fittings for the tubes to grease the inside werethe pin moves. then pack them up good with grease before reinstall.

go check the meyers section and search this in there tons of info.

i run the other yellow plow so i dont have that problem. :D
  3. snyder1924

snyder1924 Junior Member

Thats good for maintainnce. Have you ever had them repaird and what was that outcome/solution.
  4. sweetk30

me i havent had good luck on repairs with them my self. only tryed 1 time for the old shop plow at my old work.

i now run fisher stuff on my own truck. the old speedcaster .

sorry i am no help.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

we usually just cut the old tube off and clean up the area then weld on the replacement tubes. turns out pretty good.
  6. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

That's what I did last year when I had mine. Welded in new tubes and used new pins. Loaded the pins with never-seize and added grease fittings to prevent from having problems again. It took a lot of PB blaster, heat, cussing and anger with a BFH to get the old ones out. Then i decided the sleeves needed replaced...:mad:

New pins and sleeves are cheap from Mill Supply...
  7. sweetk30

see thats the problem. the pins rust up. then thay freeze in the tubes. then its only going to break out the welds bofore the blade falls off.

the grease fitting idea is the best problem solver for any of these before thay break.

i dont know why thay dont do it from the factory for as many years as thay have been breaking out. :dizzy:
  8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

OR you break the pins in two from them twisting Rather then pivoting....I had this happen to 2 blades in one season :(

I now have new sleeves, new pins, grease fittings and I grease it after every snow.
    During the summer I grease it at lest once and work the a frame back and forth to make sure its not freezing up Whit the humidity/salt combo...

I agree that its a poor design, it works well, until the rust/freezing up happens, then plop off falls the blade.
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I tired to get mine out also, but got mad and cut it all out, both sides of the tube and replaced them. Was much easier then beating the heck out of it with a sledge for 4 hours, just wish I had not waisted the 4hrs and cut them the first time....
  10. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member