1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers MiniSpreader w/fabbed swing away mount

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Emstaxi, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I need to have my swing out so that I could load the snowblower and salt through the back. before I had no access to the tailgate because the spreader was welded to a piece of square tubing that was fixed and slid into the hitch receiver.

I used (2) 5 ft pieces of 1/4 in square tubing and the mount. I tried to do the welding myself but it did not work. .Paid 50 bucks for the welding and here is the result....

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice idea. Been able to try it out yet and see how it works with a full spreader?
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good
    let us know how it works
  4. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Looks good, but I would be careful if you open it full of salt.
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Was Manny Mo and Jack out of black paint? :D
  6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Great idea!! Let us know how it holds up with a full spreader.
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the welds....But, I would have serious concerns about that threaded rod that suppots the whole thing when swung out....
    I would get rid of that and go to a farm supply and get a heavy hitch pin. or something similar.
    If not that, I would at least have a couple pieces of steel welded on to go up from the back side and over the top with a hole drilled for the pin or bolt to pass thru for added support of the load.
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

hate to burst anyones bubble but that isnt going to work full

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do not swing out when it is full.

How much in time and materials did it run you?
  10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I hope u don't mid constructive criticism. I the only way that'll work is if it never has any salt in it. It looks really wobbly. Your biggest problem is U have very little to offer support from higher up on the vehicle. I know its a sub. and your really in a tough predicament but see what u can figure out.