1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers MD2 Head Lights Out

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RealUpstate, Jan 10, 2009.

1. RealUpstate

RealUpstate Junior Member

Another headlight problem. I put a new MD-2, 7.5 ft., E-60 on a '98 Dodge 1500 in 2001. I had to replace the Dodge 2 weeks ago with a '04 version this time a 2500. Shopping in a hurry (snow in forecast), I found the truck 65 miles away and went to a reputable dealer only 5 miles from there to install the truck side. Had no way to get him the plow. He had an MD-2 mount and did a great job, but the electrical connector to the plow was different. (I'm assuming the original design is no longer available, so he put in what he had - the modern one.) I had 2 power cables, 3 solenoid wires and 2 separate headlight connectors each with 5 wires. Now I have a single big hunker connector with the two power cables and 15 wires. I had to go all the way back to buy a plow harness to plug into the truck. Then the headlight plugs turned out much different (shape, length and quantity). He UPSed another harness with the mating headlight plugs. There are 6 headlight wires. When I asked what I should do with the extra (blue) headlight wire, he said "don't use that one". So I didn't, just cut them off, taped and capped them. Had to splice inside the headlight housings. It's snowing pretty heavy right now and I couldn't get the headlights to work. Actually, only the parking lights work. No flashers or directionals either. And one of the Dodge's low beams quit. Rocky start-up. I'm asumming they did everything correctly and the plow system worked just fine on the 1500 hours earlier (the truck is still around). So it must be me and the 5 vs.6 wires. I matched colors. The headlights didn't have blue. Anyone have a silver bullet? Are the rest of the Dodge headlights at risk?